Thread: 3com nic

FoBoT

3com nic

i put mandrake 8.1 onto a pc with a 3com 905B nic, it no worky-worky, even though the mandrake website says it is a tested card

i put red hat 7.2 onto the same pc with the 3com card and it works fine

any ideas why that is?

Re: 3com nic

Hi, When you say "it no worky worky" do you mean you weren't able to immediately connect to your network after installation? Have you done anything to configure it? I'm not being a smart ass, I just need more information in order to help you. (In case you haven't) try running "Mandrake Control Center" from your X menus (KDE, GNOME, or any WM) and click on "networking." This allows you to painlessly set up networking. If you didn't install X and want to do it the intimate way (no such thing as "the hard way" in linux) let me know and I'll tell you the way to do it by hacking config files and running ifconfig and route. Good luck and sorry to hear it didn't work for you. let us know if you get it figured out.

gaxprels

Spot

OK, I use the same card in a couple of machines myself. I even did a FTP install(RH 6.2), yet I had to set the card up again once the install was complete..including specifying the irq and io values. That was the only trouble I had with it though.
    If the box is a dual boot with windows, grab the irq and io info from the windows install and specify those settings when you setup the driver (3c509 module). If not, there's a setup util you can download from the 3com website, 2 floppy disks, dos I believe) that will tell the card which irq and io to use. Also, there are some issues with PnP and the card that you'll need to address as per the card's user guide.
    http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/r...MBO&order=desc

This is an ISA card, correct?

FoBoT

i forget the exact message in hard drake that it displayed, but my main question was why did it work in red hat but not in mandrake?

it is working just fine with red hat , so i don't really need to "troubleshoot" getting it working, but thanks for the help

Well this might be just fartin in the wind, but I looked into it a bit, and it seems some other people are having problems with it too. Me and JimH just figured it was the way Mandrake patches its kernel versus the way RedHat patches it. From what I've found it is fixed as soon as a person recompiles their kernel implicitly stating support for that card.....but like I said this could just be a fart in the wind with what your situation may have been.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Spot

Well this might be just fartin in the wind, but I looked into it a bit, and it seems some other people are having problems with it too. Me and JimH just figured it was the way Mandrake patches its kernel versus the way RedHat patches it. From what I've found it is fixed as soon as a person recompiles their kernel implicitly stating support for that card.....but like I said this could just be a fart in the wind with what your situation may have been.
    Yep, it seems with Mandrake's "bleeding edge" perspective, they've tried to cut out some of the support for some older, fairly obsolete, hardware. Since that's a pretty old 10 base T ISA card, that might have been one of the things that got cut out, since most newer machines don't even support ISA any longer, and 10 base T networks are quickly going the way of the Dodo.