Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Intel HaM winmodem init strings etc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel HaM winmodem init strings etc

fearby

Intel HaM winmodem init strings etc

I have a dual boot win2000 and Mandrake 8.1 setup.
    The modem connects at 45.2 in Windows but 31.2 in Linux.
    Where do I change init strings?
    What else could be slowing the modem down...?

Spot

Re: Intel HaM winmodem init strings etc

The speed difference might just be because the modem was designed to work under windows only. Winmodem drivers for linux are still fairly experimental, and may not be up to par with their win-counterparts. Unfortunately that can the price you pay with cheap hardware.
    http://linmodems.org/ might have some more info for you in the init strings, if you haven't checked there already.
    Worst case, get yourself a proper modem.
    Let us know how it goes!

JimH

fearby

Been there and done that I am afraid..............

Where you change init strings depends on the program you are using to connect? Are you using straight pppd or are you using a x proggy?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Mojo

EXCELLENT. I was jsut about to post about this - I cat get my Intel HaM modem working at all:

Redhat 7.1 (2.4.2-2)

Readme says

1. Make clean (ok)
    2. Make All (nope - didnt work says something about make ham - so i did make ham and it was fine)
    3. Make install

Okay i briefly see it on bootup - now how do i connect? Ive had this modem for ages and ive never managed to get it to work despite which distro i use whether it be deb,rh,slack, everything.. hmm..

So how do i configure after i install it - i 'presume' you would use RH PPP dialup or something (ive never actually had net axx in linux you see)

okey dokes - well i dont have a modem installed (according to redhat)

so can you please help me here!

Id invite you to a telnet session but err well no modem obviously :/

Great site bw - i intend on staying here...

JimH

I have no personal experience with winmodems. I don't use them or recommend that anyone use them.

Best place to look for help is http://www.linmodems.org or try searching Google.

Jim H

Mojo

its all very well ppl saying - go buy a new one - what if i can afford one? What if im using a free operating system for a reason? Ive searched all those sites bollocks about my modem...

JimH

its all very well ppl saying - go buy a new one - what if i can afford one? What if im using a free operating system for a reason? Ive searched all those sites bollocks about my modem...
    Linux is an Open Source Operating System and not necessarily a "Free" Operating System.

Maybe fearby can give you hand, he at least seems to have been able to get it working.

Jim H

Have you read the modem install OMP?

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.