Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: umm...yeah...

JeffBarge

umm...yeah...

So I've been trying to to put together a home brew box for the past little while, and I've run into a few problems...have run several google searches to no avail, and was hoping that someone here might have more of an idea than I do...I have a PC Chips MB760V motherboard, with a PIII 550mHz processor on it, 128 MB SDRam (PNY Technologies), hard drive, all that good stuff, but what's messing me up is the video...I have a video card (NVidia TNT2 or some such thing), and the motherboard has onboard video...I'm assuming that since it doesn't yet have an OS set up on it, I should use the oboard video until such time as I am able to playwith things and get my other toys set up...the onboard video is set up such that rather than having the VGA port attached directly to the board, there is a VGA bracket attached toa little cable thing which is in turn attached to the appropriate connector on the board...when I turn on the power, everything seems to power up just fine, I can hear the hard drive working, the CD-Rom spins and will open when I push the button, the CPU fan is spinning, etc...however, my monitor remains blank...I've tried attaching the connector different ways, the only way it'll fit, and I've tried simpy using the video card, all to no avail...so...any help would be greatly appreciated...thank you, and good day...
    -jeff

JimH

Re: umm...yeah...

What chipset is on the motherboard?
    Is you video card AGP or PCI?
    Do you have the video card installed while trying to use the on-board video?

Jim H

JeffBarge

Not sure of the chipset right off, but the video card is PCI, and I've tried both with and without it plugged in while trying the onboard.

nfallon

Is there a jumper on your motherboard for onboard video and pci video? There should be a hardware way of turning off the on board video. It will either be a jumper or a setting in the cmos. Before you install your OS make sure you have the video card that you intend to use installed.

Neil

nfallon

Is there a jumper on your motherboard for onboard video and pci video? There should be a hardware way of turning off the on board video. It will either be a jumper or a setting in the cmos. Before you install your OS make sure you have the video card that you intend to use installed.

Neil

I just looked at a picture of the motherboard and it does have jumpers. I'm sure one of them is for the video. There was no documentation with the picture. If you have the manual that came with the motherboard then it should be in there.

Neil

JimH

Well, I managed to find some specs on this thing, but no documentation. From what I found it has an Intel 440BX chipset and the on-board video is 8MB SiS 6326 3D AGP.

OK here is the problem, from what I found this mb does not support a P3 550 cpu. It only supports cpu's up to P2 500. This would explain why you can't get a video display.

Jim H

JeffBarge

shoot...I guess that I need to find either a PII, or a PIII board....thanks for the help...

JimH

No problem. Best way would probably be too get another motherboard.

Jim H

JeffBarge

one more question on these lines: can anyone suggest a decent micro-atx board that will support my PIII and is fairly inexpensive? I've checked eBay, but haven't found anything I really like...

nfallon

Well, I managed to find some specs on this thing, but no documentation. From what I found it has an Intel 440BX chipset and the on-board video is 8MB SiS 6326 3D AGP.

OK here is the problem, from what I found this mb does not support a P3 550 cpu. It only supports cpu's up to P2 500. This would explain why you can't get a video display.

Jim H

I read the same thing. I have stuck PIII's in motherboards that don't support the chip because they're to old. The PIII's have worked fine in those systems.

When your system is turned on does it beep at all? Is it just video that you're not getting? Do the drives spin up? If it beeps what are the beeps that you are getting?

Neil