Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Network link drop out after 10 minutes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network link drop out after 10 minutes

JimH

Re: Network link drop out after 10 minutes

Does any one out there has a rpm binary file for that version of driver?
    No the driver has to be compiled against the kernel you are running.

Do you know of any known issues on smp kernel 2.4.x?
    What kind of issues.?

How may processes does RH7.2 professional supports?
    The 2.4. kernel does not have a fixed process limit. The number of available processes can be set at runtime. I believe it defaults to :
    amount of ram / kernel stack size / 2

I fI remember right the kernel stack size on an x86 is 8192. I don't remember for sure, I would have to try and find it. So if you have 256mb RAM:

256*1024*1024 / 8192 / 2 = 16384

Jim H

kyiu

Well, managed to compile the new driver from the Intel site. I get a message when I try to ismod e1000 with no[parameter=value] "ismod: a module named e1000 is already exist". Did the new driver get installed? What should the parameter value used for the ismod? I was hoping no parameter means default value. Does it?

Ken

JimH

The instructions should have told you to unload the old module first.

/sbin/rmmod e1000

Then load the new module. I would also restart networking.

Jim H

kyiu

I got the new driver installed. How can I verify the version of the driver being used?

Ken

jmbrinks

Are you up and running with no problems?

kyiu

I switched to the standard (non smp) kernel. It's working. I figured I should tackle the problem one step at a time. I took the RAID controller out, reload RH7.2 and select standard kernel at boot time. I'm better then the hopelessness was having before. At least, this the NIC works. I'll build it back up to the target system slowly. I want thanks for all your help so far. I'll keep you inform. Anyway, can you show me how to verify the version of the driver is using by the system?

Thanks

Ken

jmbrinks

Do you have Linuxconf loaded on your machine. In RedHat 7.2 I don't believe it is loaded by default.

If you do, you can open it up and check under the network settings.

You can also check under the Network Config utility if it is loaded.

If no tools are loaded look in:

/dev/eth0/

kyiu

Thanks a million, everything is working now. The e1000 module in the RH7.2 - 2.4.10smp kernel is bad. The one comes with the package is for the standard kernel. It does not support smp. There is a patch on the Intel site for the current version of the driver. How to I patch it? Is there a utility to monitor the network traffic? I want to compare the performance with W2K on the NIC. ;D

Ken

JimH

Thanks a million, everything is working now. The e1000 module in the RH7.2 - 2.4.10smp kernel is bad. The one comes with the package is for the standard kernel. It does not support smp. There is a patch on the Intel site for the current version of the driver. How to I patch it? I

Ken
    The module source code is the same with either the up or smp kernel. Module must have a problem working with smp.

To patch the 3.6.8 code with the 3.6.8.1 patch. Place the patch file in the same directory with the 3.6.8 source and use:

patch -pNUM <patchfile

Just replace NUM with 0 or 1, which you have to use will depend on the patch. Look at the manpage for patch, man patch

s there a utility to monitor the network traffic? I want to compare the performance with W2K on the NIC. ;D
    Search http://freshmeat.net and take your pick. ;D tcpdump is installed by default, but you probably want a graphical interface. man tcpdump.

I checked to see if anyone has reported any bugs with RH 7.2 and your network card, but there are none listed. You might want to file a bug report. If Red Hat doesn't know there is a bug they can't fix it. Red Hat motto "If it isn't in bugzilla, it isn't a bug"

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla

Jim H