Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Graphics Card

johnqpublic

New Graphics Card

I need opinions here.on puter 2 I have an old 3DFX Voodoo 3000 card.It works with every distro I've ever tried but I need to upgrade to something newer.So,if you good people could give me some idea as to what my next card should be,it would help alot.Say, one that works with SuSE,Redhat and Libranet would be of big help.

Spot

Re: New Graphics Card

Voodoo 5!!!

johnqpublic

Voodoo 5!!!
    Got that on puter 3.However,3DFX is history so I need a card that is still,shall we say supported?I am a fan of Creative vid.cards.Do they work with Linux?How about ATI? Input,need more input.

IMHO I say an ATI whether it be an older card or a 7500....ATI is open source, and although the X system doesn't currently support 3d with the newer ATI cards, this is in the process...

Aragorn

P.S. JimH(who is on a union break right now) will know a lot more about this...
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

P.S. JimH(who is on a union break right now) will know a lot more about this...
    Really long "union break".

IMO the new ATI Radeon 7xxx/8500 cards are they way go. However, support for these cards will not be available until the release of XFree86 4.2.0 and the initial support for the 8500 will be 2D only. The 7xxx series will have 2D/3D support.

I already have a 7500, but I haven't really attempted to get it working yet. Too busy, no time. :'( The current XFree86 cvs tree already has support for them. I have seen reports of people having them working. If you are not in a really big rush, IMO these cards are they way to go.

Jim H

johnqpublic

Thanks Spot, Aragorn and JimH for the help.No, I'm in no rush for a new card but seems ATI will be my choice.I've been eyeballing the 7500 and 8500 (think that's what I saw) cards.Think I shall wait awhile longer.thanks again guys!

Mind picking me one up when ya go? ;D :P

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Mind picking me one up when ya go? ;D :P

Aragorn
    LOL, or 2 or 3 or ......

Jim H

Jim H reminds himself he needs to get his installed. :

JimH

Well, I finally got around too getting my Radeon 7500 working on my Red Hat 7.2 box. I'm using some custom rpm's based on XFree86 cvs from Jan 5.

I have 2D only, 3D crashes and burns with some pretty severe screen corruption when I enable DRI support. I suspect this might have to do with the old MVP3 chipset on this motherboard. Will have to play with the 3D support somemore later. I guess I can live without Chromium for a while.

$ rpm -q XFree86
    XFree86-4.1.99.5-01.05

Jim H

I guess I can live without Chromium for a while.
    So when do the withdrawls begin?

Aragorn