Thread: This is where I am at now

Hybrid View

This is where I am at now

Debian

Ok, I have put my Mandrake distro on the back shelf and have moved on to bigger, and maybe better things. I am torn between SuSe and Debian, but since SuSe is built on Debian technology, I might as well go for the real thing. Trust me when I say that Debian is not for the light hearted. I was up all night last night and still haven't quite got my Video Card to working. I am submitting an OMP to the site after I get it working which I should have done in a few hours. After I get off work I am going straight home and working on it. Here is what steps I have done whether successful or not.

1. I played with my XF86Config file until I was blue in the face
    2. After way to many hours I decided to reasearch the problem
    3. I found that I needed a NVidia driver downloaded from the Nvidia website (which I should have known from the beggining from when I had my Ultra TNT2).
    4. Well then I tried installing the tarballs....ha...that was a joke. I had to apt the source for Linux, then that didn't work because it was only a modified source (distro specific).
    5. Then did some more linux searching and found that I needed to download the current kernel. Augh...25meg on a 56k, ick. Well set my computer to it and next morning woke up and went to work.
    6. Configured, make dep, make install, make modules, make modules_install, lilo, then I had a bootable kernel. Well so I thought. Obviously Linux is still a little picky on its USB settings which I have a USB keyboard, well that was a little bit of tweaking and got it to work. Now I have an updated kernel, my Video card should work now, right? Wrong!
    7. Ok, now I tried making the NVidia_kernel install and it can't load the friggin module!!! So I insmod the module and it loads, but does that give me what I want? NO!!! Also, modprobe can't find it still...
    8. Modprobe --help gives me a list of commands that I then use Modprobe -c for it to show me the current configuration,t hen I see that modprobe looks in certain directories for the modules, it isn't just being loaded into memory or something. So I move the directory that I need to the kernels source directory and move the module to the directory. NOW IT SHOULD WORK!!! nope, still not working.
    9. Ok, now back to the books. I then start reading about a nv driver that I am supposed to have loaded, well my XF86Config file knows nothing of a nv driver or a glx module which is also supposed to be loading! ah ha! my problem lays with XFree86.
    10. On to the XFree86 website and I now see that I have to download the latest 4.1.0 X server. So I set my computer to work again and I am at work now so you'll see the OMP tonight or day after tomorrow!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

GonzoJohn

Re: This is where I am at now

FYI,

SuSE is an RPM, not Debian based distro. I've upgraded and messed with XFree86 4.x (running 4.1.0 now) alot over the last 6 months, so feel free to tap me for any questions.

Is it really? Wow, I dont' know why I have been thinking it was debian based then. Hmmm...sorry about that. I would have swore I have been told it was debian based, but I am glad you told me. Now I can't go and make a fool of myself anywhere but my own board! ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

BTW! Nice to see you hear GonzoJohn!

Well, I got my video card to working finally! I had a few problems with my modem, but got it up and going to. I am now downloading KDE and Konqueror so I can surf the web, and stop using this rink a dink windows software! Sorry I didn't get that OMP posted yet. I am working on it, but the video card and modem kept me up until the wee hours of the next morning so I only started on it. It should be up tomorrow though, it is my day off, I'll have to do something productive.

Aragorn

Since it seems I am pretty much talking to myself here, I will go ahead and inform whoever might read this anyways that we do have our first OMP up! It has to do with the NVidia problem of course...and it is very comprehensive...I think anyways. Comments? Let me know! Put your fingers to the keyboard people!

Aragorn