Thread: kernel & Reiserfs

johnqpublic

kernel & Reiserfs

Here's my story,I compile a Kernel in SuSE which uses Reiserfs.When I reboot the new Kernel(2.4.5 or 2.4.6)I get a Kernel panic.Forgot what the error was,but I can compile a kernel just fine with ext2.Is there something I should know about compiling a kernel and reiserfs? ???

jman_77

Re: kernel & Reiserfs

Ah man.. no experience with Reiser... lemme do a little research on that one and I'll let you know what I come up with.

johnqpublic

Ok,I got it.What I did in xconfig was hit yes in "Code maturity level"menu then to "Filesystems" submenu and hit yes for reiser fs. support.Now everything is working great.Why heck,this Linux thing isn't so bad if your patient and take your time ;D ;D ;D

jman_77

woohoo! excellent glad to hear ya figured it out. Conisder submitting something to the OMP.

johnqpublic

Maybe I will in the near future.Right now though,I'm too new to Linux (4 1/2 MOS.) and have much to learn.My next project is updating KDE which I tried half a dozen times and did it right only once.Just cannot remember how I did it which is fustrating me.I will get it right if I have to do it over& over a hundred times.This worked for my kernel compile project.

jman_77

that's the spirit! Keep us updated and feel free to come back for help as needed
    Good luck!

Try installing KDE from scratch!! AUGH! Check that, don't try installing KDE from scratch!!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.