Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

firewall causing ftp problems

Thread: firewall causing ftp problems

Hybrid View

seamonkey

firewall causing ftp problems

i have a linux box serving as a cable modem firewall / router. but ive encountered a problem with FTP. when i connect to an FTP server and attempt to list a directory's contents, it tells me its unable to create a data connection....i assume this is because my firewall is blocking the port used for this data connection...does FTP just pick a random unused high port or can you specify which one for it to use so i can unbock the port?

damn firewalls.

Re: firewall causing ftp problems

Don't know much about firewalls, but from what I do know, it sounds as if you have to tweak your settings. I would look into your ftp settings and make sure you have enabled downstream ftp. Otherwise you can upload all day, but you don't get to get a thing, not even directory listings! ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

ipchains? What do your rules look like?

seamonkey

yay, i just had to tell my ftp program to use passive mode.
    ;D
    i have a linux box serving as a cable modem firewall / router. but ive encountered a problem with FTP. when i connect to an FTP server and attempt to list a directory's contents, it tells me its unable to create a data connection....i assume this is because my firewall is blocking the port used for this data connection...does FTP just pick a random unused high port or can you specify which one for it to use so i can unbock the port?

damn firewalls.

well duh! heheh. JK! ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

seamonkey

haha. yeah sure.

well duh! heheh. JK! ;D

Aragorn