Thread: Very long process, but fun

Very long process, but fun

Well I decided to use my ENTIRE two days off to get an LFS system up and going. I have to say, it was a lot of fun getting set up. I am not completely done as I still have some tweaking of my bootscripts to do cuz it isn't reading my USB keyboard yet. Which also has to do with the Kernel(2.4.8 ). I figure I'll have it finished set up here in a few hours and then I am going to work on getting a package system integrated into it. That ought to be fun! ;D

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Aaron_Adams

Re: Very long process, but fun

Yay!

I was looking forward to doing it this week, but I need my slack cd from my friend so I can boot into my system to resize the current filesystem and partition and make an extra one to make the LFS build on. Ah well, I'll get the cd tommorow hopefully. Thats awsome that you got it working. Why did you use 2.4.8 instead of 2.4.14 out of curiosity? Any big roadblocks you ran into, or was it fairly straight forward?

If there is a way to change a partition size and filesystem size without using a cd that lets you boot into it (like slacks) please let me know. I have no room to just make a new one, so resizing the current one (and I only have the one on the hd right now) requires being somewhere without /dev/hda1 being mounted. (sorry if it's a bad explanation hehe)

Yay!

I was looking forward to doing it this week, but I need my slack cd from my friend so I can boot into my system to resize the current filesystem and partition and make an extra one to make the LFS build on. Ah well, I'll get the cd tommorow hopefully. Thats awsome that you got it working. Why did you use 2.4.8 instead of 2.4.14 out of curiosity? Any big roadblocks you ran into, or was it fairly straight forward?
    I used 2.4.8 becuase it was their recommended setup. I followed it to a T and then will upgrade(as I am doing now) to newer things as I go along.

Roadblocks? Naah, just the time. You have to make sure you don't accidently skip over one static linked install because it surely messes you up when you need to dynamically install them. Good thing is that you can go back and statically install then go ahead with the dynamic install, you'll see what I mean when you get to setting it up. Also! You have to make sure you don't have any typos in the EXTREMELY long execution scripts they have you install. I tell you what though, there are flags to make and such that I had no idea existed and am glad I know now.

If there is a way to change a partition size and filesystem size without using a cd that lets you boot into it (like slacks) please let me know. I have no room to just make a new one, so resizing the current one (and I only have the one on the hd right now) requires being somewhere without /dev/hda1 being mounted. (sorry if it's a bad explanation hehe)
    I didn't even know there was a non-destructive patitioning program for linux where I could resize my partitions. Tell me what it is cuz I am going to have space issues real soon! BTW whatever you do, they say you only need 750Mb for the install, this is wrong, you need around 1.7gig all together. Once everything is installed it is under 750Mb but all the temp files and everything it creates during install eats up a lot of space, especially gcc and glibc.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Aaron_Adams

Alright. Well, if the process works to my liking I'm going to use it for my FTP and Web Server and it will get 20gigs instead of Slack having it hehe.

You can use resize2fs (if the fs is ext2) and resize the filesystem. If you are reducing size you need to delete the partition and make it the exact size you made the filesystem. But if you want to make the filesystem larger, you have to remake the partition larger, and then make the filesystem larger. I haven't had a chance to do it, but thats how I understand it. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Just man resize2fs, it should be on your system already, for the details. It will give a more sane explanation.

Alrighty, here is a progress report.

1. Got Joe, my fav text editor installed, and symbolicly linked.
    2. Got OpenSSL installed in the preperation for KDE on my system.
    3. Am having a HECK of a time with installing QT, it keeps getting stuck on processing qpsprinter.h, I read to remove it and that crapped it out even more, so I put it back and am stuck.
    4. PPPD! AHHH!!! Ok, I got it to dial out....I am not useing /dev/pts so it took me forever to realize that when I access the port it isn't ttyS03 it is ttyS3, grrr!! Even then it doesn't seem to want to connect. I have had so many problems setting up internet with PPPD it isn't even funny! Wvdial is trying to access the command ppp which I tried to create by dynamically linking PPPD to ppp, but that didn't work, so I am stuck ther too, so I have to boot into my old slack install to download.
    5. Am slowly downloading KDE, it isn't a small puppy. I am tring to find out if I need that 48mb file the i18n file, I haven't found any information regarding it yet, so I don't know.
    6. I did get the Xserver installed though, so I can get a graphical interface and the bash screen, so I am pretty thrilled with that, download was pretty small, and setup was a breeze. I deviated from LFS's 60 meg download of the source and used the XFree86 binaries, worked like a charm!

Well this is where I am at so far, it is fun, but can be annoying too! Oh BTW I still can't get my keyboard to work, I am running PS/2 keyboard right now until I get this USB thing worked out.

Aragorn

Panserbjorne

Sounds like a lot of fun.....I'd been looking at making my own distro too. Too bad I don't have enough time...

Aaron_Adams

I've finally gotten a chance to start building my LFS system. Hurrah for time! Hopefully I can finish most of it tonight.