Thread: LILO

snowdog

LILO

I'm in a bind here folks. I'm doing a dual boot with Win98 and RedHat 6.0. I have a copy of BootMagic that came with the "Upgrading And Repairing PCs, Linux Edition" book (awesome book, highly recommended), and it said to install lilo into the linux partition, not the MBR. While trying to install BootMagic, it wants a serial # to complete the install. There is no serial number!! So my question is... how do I get lilo back to the MBR? Please don't say reinstall RedHat. Please.

Spot

Re: LILO

Are you able to boot into linux? If so, it should be as simple as running the command: lilo -v as root. That should install lilo to the mbr.

I've been in a similiar type situation. I am sure there are better ways to do this than I, but as a last ditch effort, put your RedHat cd back in the system and do an UPGRADE that'll give you the chance to reinstall lilo, that is if all else fails. This is what I have done a few times, so I know that it works, and it is a painless process that allows you to not have to reinstall.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Mojo

SURELY that is what bootdisks are for?

Well if you got a copy of slackware you can bung that in and use the BOOT: prompt like errmm vmlinuz /dev/hda1/ or something - someone clarify this please...

snowdog

Aragorn, thanks for the tip. Worked beautifully!

Well I knew I was good for something! ;D
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.