Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux Certification

Thread: Linux Certification

Aaron_Adams

Linux Certification

Hello! You may have noticed I haven't really been around much lately, this is a result of me taking a break from all things technical with computers. I refuse to even enter my office downstairs... I am just using a p150 laptop to use icq and browse. from my bedroom ( konquerer doesn't work so well with a p150 and 32 ram lol ) My frustration is slowly wearing off, and within the next couple of weeks I think I'll be ready to overflow my brain again. Now that the information that none of you are interested in is out of the way, I'll get to what's on my mind.

I've been thinking about certifications quite a bit lately, as it's something I've always been interested in for challenging myself, and just to have something nice on my resume. I'm curious what overall value of having Linux certifications are. I'm aware of Linux+, LPI, and RHCE. Those are the only I've really looked into. Linux+ and LPI don't seem to be overly difficult, and I was thinking of maybe taking the tests sometime in the near future. RHCE, I haven't looked into too much, as I don't like the idea of getting certified in RH over any other distro. Especially since there aren't any other certs around that are distro specific. Any personal experience info on that cert would be nice none the less. Do any of you have or know of anyone with these certifications? Do you/they find it was worth your/their while?

Thanks!

nfallon

Re: Linux Certification

Hello! You may have noticed I haven't really been around much lately, this is a result of me taking a break from all things technical with computers. I refuse to even enter my office downstairs... I am just using a p150 laptop to use icq and browse. from my bedroom ( konquerer doesn't work so well with a p150 and 32 ram lol ) My frustration is slowly wearing off, and within the next couple of weeks I think I'll be ready to overflow my brain again. Now that the information that none of you are interested in is out of the way, I'll get to what's on my mind.

I've been thinking about certifications quite a bit lately, as it's something I've always been interested in for challenging myself, and just to have something nice on my resume. I'm curious what overall value of having Linux certifications are. I'm aware of Linux+, LPI, and RHCE. Those are the only I've really looked into. Linux+ and LPI don't seem to be overly difficult, and I was thinking of maybe taking the tests sometime in the near future. RHCE, I haven't looked into too much, as I don't like the idea of getting certified in RH over any other distro. Especially since there aren't any other certs around that are distro specific. Any personal experience info on that cert would be nice none the less. Do any of you have or know of anyone with these certifications? Do you/they find it was worth your/their while?

Thanks!

Sun Solaris has certs. They are more valuable than the Linux certs.

Neil

Neil

I have to agree with him, currenly Sun Solaris certs look way better on a resume than a Linux cert, I'd say get that first then after you land a job, THEN get some Linux certs to add some spice!

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

jmbrinks

Although I agree that SUN certifications are impressive, I am going to have to disagree with the crowd just for a minute.

SUN is still viewed as expensive to the market.

RedHat is gaining quite a bit of ground in the market with IBM and others and is viewed as the inexpensive alternative to both MS and SUN.

An RHCE may appeal more to mid-sized and small-sized companies looking to reduce infrastructure costs, while a SUN certification may appeal more to large companies with an installed base.

What market are you looking to seek work in, and in what type of environment?

I would go for an RHCE certification if I wanted to certify in Linux and work at a small to mid sizedcompany, and a SUN cert if looking toward UNIX and working in a large corporation.

Each certification has its own place in the market. If you have the time learn both.

Just my 2 cents...

snowdog

I'm still green as green can be about anything *nix (sorry still haven't installed QNX). I'm taking some night classes at the local college on networking, and starting the A+ courses this Wednesday (Feb. 13/02). I've been a labourer all my life, my 34th BDay is this spring and I finally found something that makes me hard all day long. I want the Linux+, Network+, A+ , CCNE, MCSE, Sun certs, all of it. Then when I grow old and grey installing hard drives in old lady's computers, and answering questions on how how to hook Win XP to a Linux network I'll know I'm happy. Money and company size mean less and less the older you get. But please get me off that goddamn forklift!!

nfallon

I'm still green as green can be about anything *nix (sorry still haven't installed QNX). I'm taking some night classes at the local college on networking, and starting the A+ courses this Wednesday (Feb. 13/02). I've been a labourer all my life, my 34th BDay is this spring and I finally found something that makes me hard all day long. I want the Linux+, Network+, A+ , CCNE, MCSE, Sun certs, all of it. Then when I grow old and grey installing hard drives in old lady's computers, and answering questions on how how to hook Win XP to a Linux network I'll know I'm happy. Money and company size mean less and less the older you get. But please get me off that goddamn forklift!!

That's ambitious. If you get all of those certs before you're 50 I would be surprised. Unless you have no life other than studying for certs then you will tone down the certs that you really want. For instance. If you want to be stuck as a PC Tech go ahead and get the A+ cert. If you want to do Network Admin get a Network Admin cert. If you want to do Network Installations get a Network Engineer cert. The cert is only as good as the person that holds it. If you're really sharp and learn networking inside out (theory and practice) then you would only need one cert and would be worth you weight. If you have 10 certs and can't tell an interviewer what the various layers of the OSI model do then you're useless. Learn your craft well and then pick the cert that's right for you.

Neil

jmbrinks

I know I am probably going to get flamed for this, but read the reason:

Certifications are both good and bad, depending on what you intend to do with them. Another factor is also what job you intend to hold and where you intend to progress to.

Matrix:
    Certification Job
    A+ Computer Repair & Upgrading
    Network+ Network Support
    MCP Help Desk
    MCSE Network Admin Microsoft
    RHCE Network Admin Linux
    SCNA Network Admin Unix
    CNE Network Admin Novell
    CCNA Entry Level Network Engineer Cisco
    CCNP Senior Level Network Engineer Cisco
    CCIE Routing & Switching Guru
    PMP Project Manager
    CISSP Computer Security Professional

If you intend to be an admin or engineer o security guru find a field (admin, infrastructure, security, etc...) that truly interests you and focus on it. Get certified in that area and begin to specialize. Certification is just the beginning. Take that field by storm and learn everything you can about it. Live it, learn it, love it, you get the idea....

If you intend to manage, try to obtain as many certifications as you can in varying fields. Use the certifications as a guideline and get a little hands on. This will give you a better opportunity to understand where your admins, engineers, etc are coming from. You will have a basic understanding and know the lingo. Just don't get a big head because you have the certifications, because those guys will blow you away in their specialties. You can be a manager that is a jack of all trades yet master of none. If you play your cards right, they might even respect you.

nfallon

I know I am probably going to get flamed for this, but read the reason:

Certifications are both good and bad, depending on what you intend to do with them. Another factor is also what job you intend to hold and where you intend to progress to.

Matrix:
    Certification Job
    A+ Computer Repair & Upgrading
    Network+ Network Support
    MCP Help Desk
    MCSE Network Admin Microsoft
    RHCE Network Admin Linux
    SCNA Network Admin Unix
    CNE Network Admin Novell
    CCNA Entry Level Network Engineer Cisco
    CCNP Senior Level Network Engineer Cisco
    CCIE Routing & Switching Guru
    PMP Project Manager
    CISSP Computer Security Professional

If you intend to be an admin or engineer o security guru find a field (admin, infrastructure, security, etc...) that truly interests you and focus on it. Get certified in that area and begin to specialize. Certification is just the beginning. Take that field by storm and learn everything you can about it. Live it, learn it, love it, you get the idea....

If you intend to manage, try to obtain as many certifications as you can in varying fields. Use the certifications as a guideline and get a little hands on. This will give you a better opportunity to understand where your admins, engineers, etc are coming from. You will have a basic understanding and know the lingo. Just don't get a big head because you have the certifications, because those guys will blow you away in their specialties. You can be a manager that is a jack of all trades yet master of none. If you play your cards right, they might even respect you.
    CNE = Certified Novell Engineer
    CNA = Certified Novell Administrator