Thread: IRC (Xchat?) connection problem

IRC (Xchat?) connection problem

This originally started as a rant because I couldn't connect to openprojects but has now infested my DALnet connection however not undernet.

Code:
    Connecting to www.devisen.at (212.69.172.16) port 7000..
    --- Connection failed. Error: Connection refused
    Has anyone ever seen that error before? Is it something I have to change locally, ISP issue, or IRC network issue?

Re: IRC (Xchat?) connection problem

strange , how are you trying to connect do dalnet .. if you are using irc.dal.net or something .. then it could be something with your dns because it always resolves to www.devisen.at for some reason, try to search on the dalnet homepage for a server or try sme.fl.us.dal.net as a server

When I try dalnet I type out the server name.
    wombat.dal.net, fork.dal.net, etc. sme isn't working either..I rebooted into Windows to see if it was an Xchat issue since we all know how informative Win software is *choke snicker* all I'm getting is 'connection refused'.

This makes it either a client issue or an ISP issue since I've also asked some other people on undernet about this and they're on DALnet. Maybe it's just cable being cranky.

hmm .. i think it must be something with your connection .. either try a different dns server http://opennic.org or
    try to resolve wombat.dal.net and post what ip you got, i get :
    128.242.249.222 and 221

Are you sure you don't filter through an open proxy server? or do you filter through a proxy that has IIS on teh box?

Openprojects.net has put in place a ban on all people that join from an address that also has an IIS server on it. They have been too flooded with virii and bots and other nastyness from IIS hosting boxen.

No IIS here, just winNT 4.0 that's a gateway with a NAT. Your theory is a good one but I don't connect to the IRC server. It just dies on me. :-/

it's quite odd that it keeps trying to connect to that www. address. Most irc servers arn't www servers.....

/me thinks you have DNS issues.

It was indeed a DNS issue. Apparently the first DNS server went wonky on me so I popped the other one in (in 'doze) and everything works again. :

Erm..on another note where is the file with my DNS addy's in it? I need to edit my linux DNS so I can connect. :P

It was indeed a DNS issue. Apparently the first DNS server went wonky on me so I popped the other one in (in 'doze) and everything works again. :

Erm..on another note where is the file with my DNS addy's in it? I need to edit my linux DNS so I can connect. :P
    /etc/resolv.conf

That did it. Thanx again. ;D