Thread: Asus A8N-E problem...maybe

Asus A8N-E problem...maybe

Hi all, first post here as it seems you all seem to know Linus as well or better than most of the other forums i've been to.

Anyway, here's my problem. I've got a brand spanking new system over here and I have the Asus A8N-E board. generally is seems to run fantasticlly however there seems to be a problem with seeing ANY drive on it that's not a master. XP doesn't seem to have any problems seeing both the masters and slaves, but not Linux. Neither fdisk or cfdisk picks them up and it doesnt seem to be Linux OS specific as I tried Slackware 10.1, Slackware 10.2, Mandriva, and Fedora Core without any luck.

If I were just dinking around with Linux on a spare pc it wouldnt be an issue. However I planned on using it as a dual boot XP/Slackware system with each one on a separate drive.

I dont knw if this is a known board problem or if it's a problem with Linux in specific. So, in short, has anybody had any similar issues with this board or better yet how to resolve them?

Regards and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Hi,

How are you checking if the drives are being seen or not? Could it be that they are seen but not mounted? Another alternative would be that the module is not being loaded.

Can you post the results for the following commands?

lspci
    dmesg | grep /dev/
    lsmod
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Basically here's what I've got...
    On the primary IDE:
    120gb master = windows xp
    80gb slave = empty

secondary IDE:
    Secondary master = NEC cdr
    secondary slave = NEC dvd/rw

Inserted install cd into the drive, loads ramdisk blah blah blah....then at the command prompt I type cfdisk and the only drive that it reports is the 120gb master. If I put the install cd into the slave cdr it doesnt recognize the disk and throws the flag at boot "no os present, please reboot" or something along those lines.

It also doesnt matter what the position is on the ribbon or how I've got jumpers set; master, slave, cable select. The only ones it sees are the ones set for master. So it appears as far as the system is concerned it doesn't exist. What I've got to do is to physically remove the windows drive and switch the linux drive to primary master.

For the command outputs you suggested I run here's the outputs:
    Code:
    lspci yields:

00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005e (rev a3)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0050 (rev a3)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0052 (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005a (rev a2)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005b (rev a3)
    00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0059 (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0053 (rev f2)
    00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0054 (rev f3)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0055 (rev f3)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005c (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0057 (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005d (rev a3)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005d (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005d (rev a3)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 005d (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
    05:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

dmesg | grep /dev/ didnt provide any output at all.

lsmod yields the following:

Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
    snd-pcm-oss            36704   0
    snd-mixer-oss          12152   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
    keybdev                 1892   0  (unused)
    mousedev                4020   1
    hid                    20804   0  (unused)
    usbmouse                1880   0  (unused)
    input                   3200   0  [keybdev mousedev hid usbmouse]
    usb-ohci               19368   0  (unused)
    ehci-hcd               17516   0  (unused)
    usbcore                58860   1  [hid usbmouse usb-ohci ehci-hcd]
    snd-intel8x0           18080   2
    snd-ac97-codec         52472   0  [snd-intel8x0]
    snd-pcm                54504   1  [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec]
    snd-timer              13412   0  [snd-pcm]
    snd                    31268   1  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer]
    soundcore               3396   4  [snd]
    snd-page-alloc          4712   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd]
    sata_nv                 2592   0  (unused)
    libata                 27732   0  [sata_nv]
    forcedeth               9868   1
    pcmcia_core            39172   0
    ide-scsi                9392   0

You have to do
    cfdisk /dev/hdx
    wehre hdx is the drive you want to install on.
    So, if it is the primary slave (the 80gb one) you have to do
    cfdisk /dev/hdb
    HTH!
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru
    Yeah, you will have to specify WHICH device you wanted to work with. Also you need to be superuser (ROOT) for that as well.

On my Debian System, I have sudo enabled so;
    Code:
    sudo cfdisk
    will return only the master drive; as
    Code:
                                      cfdisk 2.12r
                                  Disk Drive: /dev/hda

Size: 3400040448 bytes, 3400 MB
                  Heads: 128   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 823

Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]        Size (MB)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        hda1        Boot        Primary   Linux ext2                        1201.48
        hda2                    Primary   Linux ext2                         503.71
        hda3                    Primary   Linux swap / Solaris               511.97
        hda4                    Primary   Linux ext2                        1180.83

[Bootable]  [ Delete ]  [  Help  ]  [Maximize]  [ Print  ]
         [  Quit  ]  [  Type  ]  [ Units  ]  [ Write  ]

Toggle bootable flag of the current partition
    If I specify my master drive on secondary IDE channel
    Code:
    sudo cfdisk /dev/hdc
    Then, it will return as
    Code:
                                      cfdisk 2.12r
                                  Disk Drive: /dev/hdc

Size: 8455200768 bytes, 8455 MB
                  Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 1027

Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]        Size (MB)
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        hdc1        Boot        Primary   Linux ext2                        8447.37
    If you want to see which drive is being mounted with what file system and space usage/percentage, then you can do

Code:
    compunuts@tecra:~$ df -h
    Filesystem            Size              Used        Avail             Use%       Mounted on
    /dev/hda1             1.2G             891M        180M            84%          /
    tmpfs                 126M               4.0K          126M           1%            /dev/shm
    /dev/hda2             466M             384M          58M            87%          /home
    /dev/hda4             1.1G              263M          790M            25%          /var
    /dev/hdc1             7.8G              3.0G            4.5G              40%          /data
    compunuts@tecra:~$
    And I'm sure you already know that
    1. The master drive on primary IDE channel is /dev/hda
    2. The Slave drive on primary IDE channel is /dev/hdb
    3. The master drive on secondary IDE channel is /dev/hdc
    4. The Slave drive on secondary IDE channel is /dev/hdb

and SATA drives are address as /dev/sdx where x is the drive number such as a,b or c depending on the postion of SCSI ID.

HTH ...

P.S --> Yeah, I know my partition system sucks but it's Debian Stable (now you know how old that one is) and the last time I installed the system was when ext3 was in development stage.
    Last edited by Compunuts; 02-07-2006 at 05:33 AM.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Hmmm.....as the saying goes, what we have here is a failure to communicate! I really hope the tone doesn't sound too condescending as you guys probably forgot more than I'll ever know about LInux.

Lets see if I can clarify this a little better. On the system I'm having problems with, I am incapable of installing the operating system AT ALL. Now, here's what Im doing.

I've got a 120gb hard drive with windows XP already installed and running as the primary master. What I want to do is install Slackware or any Linux system on the primary slave using an 80gb drive.

When I have the slave drive installed with jumpers set correctly, etc., I insert the slackware installation CD into the cd drive. It installs the bare kernel into the ramdisk and I get this happy little login prompt. So I login as root and proceed to type cfdisk to partition and format the 80gb drive. Guess what it displays? ONLY the 120gb windows drive! There isn't so much as a hint as to the presence of the 80gb slave drive appearing at all.

Now, if I exit cfdisk, the kernel that's installed into ram is pretty stripped down so there really arent many commands that it'll accept at all and it wont allow me to do any of what has been suggested be done.

However, here's where it gets weird because I'm thinking maybe it's a bad cd burn or something. If I swap the positions of the drives such that I make the 80gb drive the master and 120gb windows drive the slave and repeat the above step cfdisk now see's the 80gb drive and NOT the 120g drive and the slackware install goes through without a hitch.

So, to make a long story short, what I wind up having to do is physically remove the windows drive and reset the jumpers every time I need to boot into slackware which is beginning to get really tiresome. And this is why I'm trying to determine if this is an OS related issue or a board level issue.

I hope that clarifies my problem a little more.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Hi,

During install, at the point where you use the cfdisk command, you have to specify what drive you want to use cfdisk on: cfdisk /dev/hdb should show you the primary slave. Cfdisk only shows one drive per invocation, and by default is the primary master.

Good Guru
    And we still stand corrected.... You NEED to tell Linux WHICH drive you want to work with. It doesn't matter which drive sits where but as long as it's second drive on primary IDE channel, it NEED to be addressed as /dev/hdb .

Being said that, I've never come across an installer which won't show ALL drives. Since I'm not familiar with Slack, I can't tell you much. But in Ubuntu it will show the primary drive in big letters and others are much more obsecure from view. I had to look really close to make sure it's the drive I wanted.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    One related note tough. If you install in slave drive but choose to load from HDD, then Grub or LiLo will get installed on primary master's MBR no matter what since it's where the boot flags are.

No IT BS !!