I noticed some people having trouble with installing phpBB 2 on their home servers. I didn't find any good linux tutorials for this, only some Windows ones. So I decided to write my own. This is a tutorial for Ubuntu, but it should also work well with other distros.
WARNING: this tutorial does NOT provide hints for security, you can even say it's unsecure. If you care for your security or aren't a home user, don't use this tutorial or change it a way that IS secure.
Good luck and have fun!
Server dir: /var/www/
NOTE: phpBB 2 is optimized for php 4. It is possible to get it run on php 5, but this goes behind the scope of this tutorial
1) First, you have to install all the packages. Use the following commands on the CLI or use you GUI package manager:
sudo apt-get install apache2 libapache2-mod-php4 php4-mysql mysql-server-4.1
2) Go to http://localhost and check if you get the apache test page. If not, enable your server in system>administration>services or in the commandline:
3) Now time to create the database. Get into the mysql prompt with (on the command line):
mysql -u root
Create the database with:
mysql> CREATE DATABASE phpBB2;
Set the permissions with:
mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, INDEX, ALTER, CREATE, DROP ON phpBB2.* TO 'namehere'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'enteryourpasswordhere';
Substitute namehere and enteryourpasswordhere with things that you want. Please note that I keep using this examples, so make sure you include the same name/password in the installation of phpBB2
This reprocesses the password, only do this in MySQL 4.1/5.0 with PHP 4.x
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'namehere'@'localhost' = OLD_PASSWORD('enteryourpasswordhere');
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
4) The scariest part of the install is now done. Now get the latest phpBB version for their website: www.phpbb.com. Unpack it in /var/www/forum/ (in this configuration)
5) Set permissions on 777 on install.php and config.php
6) Run in your browser: localhost/forum/
7) Fill in the fields.
Default board language: English
Database Type: MySQL 4.x/5
Choose your installation method: Install
Database Server Hostname / DSN: localhost
Your Database Name: phpBB2
Database Username: namehere
Database Password: enteryourpasswordhere
Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_
Script path: /forum/
Fill the rest in the way you like
8) Press install...
9) If you have problems, suggestions or corrections please post them!
a) When I do apt-get it says the packages are not found
solution: go to apt-get.org, search for the package, and add the repo (warning: only on debian-based distros, like ubuntu)