Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

File deletion difficulty ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File deletion difficulty ...

File deletion difficulty ...

... I've a file in one of the directories created by a user that I cannot, as root or the user, delete no matter what I try. Could it be a corrupted inode? Anyone know of a way to blast it

Tia.
    Everything I learn gives me another way to say \"OOPS!\" :oops:

Did you tried
    Code:
    chmod 777 myfile
    rm -rf myfile
    ?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Question File Removal ...

... Yes and I always get the following message:
    chmod: failed to get attributes of `browse.4gl': Permission denied

I have not seen one of these stuborn items ever before.

try a lsattr on the file. It may be that there is an immutable or append only attribute on it. If so, do a chattr -i or chattr -a.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

File removal ...

... I didn't even know about those commands. However, no soap. Here's the results:

lsattr
    --------------- ./i_junk
    elbert:/u/creico/accounting/org.4gm/i_junk # chattr -a browse*
    chattr: Permission denied while trying to stat browse.4gl
    elbert:/u/creico/accounting/org.4gm/i_junk # chattr -i browse*
    chattr: Permission denied while trying to stat browse.4gl
    elbert:/u/creico/accounting/org.4gm # rm -rf i_junk
    rm: cannot remove `i_junk/browse.4gl': Permission denied

Thanks for the info.

Good Guru
    That is weird.

Can you boot off of a rescue disc or a live cd and kill the file?

Good Guru
    What I've encounted the kind of stuff before is that I have some process that's actively using that file or directory. At times, I forgot that in one of my terminal sessions (either from this box or from SSH tunnel), I'm in the directory that I wanted to delete. At those instances, I needed to chase down where I'm locked in on important servers. But my home box, I just reboot it ( ) and have only one terminal and kill it there.

Or try to chown and chmod it as root.
    Code:
    chown root.root /your/file
    or
    Code:
    chmod 777 /your/file
    HTH ...

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Thanks all ...

... but so far no soap. I'm still leaning toward a bad inode.

Good Guru
    Then fsck that partition to see if it IS a bad inode.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Smile

Thanks. I'll pop open a terminal and take a look now.