Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandrak 10.0, Video & 4 NIC's

Thread: Mandrak 10.0, Video & 4 NIC's

Mandrak 10.0, Video & 4 NIC's

Hello all,

I have an idea I'd like some input on. I work for a company in Holland that services three national TV networks. I'm managing a video editing network with 21 clients and 3 large video storage solutions. 35 TB in total) Rumour has it that we are about to expand (storage wise 35 TB > 80 TB). We want to replace all windows based servers for raid systems that work on mandrake 10.0. These Mandrake systems come with 4 * 1 gigabit NIC's. Because of bandwidth issues we can not attach more then let's say 4 clients on one NIC (depending on what resolution we use). The plan is to install 5 of these systems. This leaves me with 20 NIC to attach to our network, with a same amount of IP addresses. A very important condition for this network is that all clients can access all network devices. Another condition is that the NIC's must be part of a different network so that the router is not sending all packets over the fastest route. This might be solved with an complex routing table but that is not the way I want to go.

My idea is to channel the 4 NIC on each server so that it acts as 1 NIC with one IP that can handle 4 Gb/s of data. How can this be achieved?

Any ideas or questions are welcome!

Good Guru

Re:Mandrak 10.0, Video & 4 NIC's

You are foraying into clustering technology. I'd go , if I were you, with clustering specific distro than trying to put your self together.

One is to go with reputable distros that do clusters well such as TurboLinux. Check out their clustering howto and see if it will help.

This is one area I'd like to try but lack the knowledge of, and the means of course. I have no use for clusters myself.

Check this link or this one.

Good Guru

Check out firehose. It does the ethernet bonding for you.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=10877;start=0#msg97498 date=1138165347]
    You are foraying into clustering technology. I'd go , if I were you, with clustering specific distro than trying to put your self together.

One is to go with reputable distros that do clusters well such as TurboLinux. Check out their clustering howto and see if it will help.

This is one area I'd like to try but lack the knowledge of, and the means of course. I have no use for clusters myself.
    [/quote]

I'm afraid I am not free to choose any distro I want. This box is allready running specific software in order to let clients with editing software log on. But Turbolinux might be the light halfway the tunnel.

Cheers

Cheers guys! I've read the articles you pointed me out. I'm sure this is giving me a head start.

c.i.