Thread: External DVD Burner

External DVD Burner

Someone I know has an external dvd burner with usb/firewire connectivity and would like to connect it to my mini mac which we want to use the firewire port. The burner is an LG GSA-5163D model.

This is my first time dealing with firewire but it looks like the firewire cable has two different sizes on the ends. One is 6pins and the other is 4 pins.

Is this common? Would we need to get an adapter for it, because I think the burner needs the 6 pin and the mini is a 6 pin?

Thnx.

Re:External DVD Burner

Thnx pbharris. I found out it needs both ends to be 6 pins. He can always use usb if need be.

The 6-pin firewire variety includes power, where the 4-pin does not, so an adapter would do no good (why both ends need to be 6 pins)

Just in case you were wondering.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Saptech link=board=3;threadid=10875;start=0#msg97433 date=1137398264]
    Someone I know has an external dvd burner with usb/firewire connectivity and would like to connect it to my mini mac which we want to use the firewire port. The burner is an LG GSA-5163D model.

This is my first time dealing with firewire but it looks like the firewire cable has two different sizes on the ends. One is 6pins and the other is 4 pins.

Is this common? Would we need to get an adapter for it, because I think the burner needs the 6 pin and the mini is a 6 pin?

Thnx.
    [/quote]

Is this the superdrive version (the one with DVD-RAM)? If so, I have that one. I've had it for a couple of months now and I have never used it for burning anything! How pathetic I am!

Cheers

Yes it is the DVD-Ram version. It's pretty nice. The docs say read/write all available media.

Ok, thnx for the replies. He did need 6 pin to 6 pin to work.

After seeing his, I put together one myself. I bought this burner, Pioneer Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner, and got this enclosure, Plumax PM-525C2-PTB Black Combo USB 2.0 / Firewire 1394 (Oxford 911) External Enclosure for 5.25 / 3.5 Inch HDD/Device, w/ Ball Bearing Fan.

The Oxford chipset for the enclosure should pretty much guarantee that it will work with OS X without issues.

Some of these external drives may have problems with OS X, maybe it has something to do with PPC also. I'm not sure if any will work with the Macintel.
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"