Thread: Share Printer

Share Printer

I want to hook up my HP Deskjet printer to my IBM Thinkpad running Win2000. Next, I would like to be able to print from my Tower system using Win XP and/or Linux, different distros. Also, I would like to be able to print using my Mini Mac (OS X).

Will this be complicated or not? I have been looking around and found some links on google. I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Thnx.

Re:Share Printer

[quote author=Saptech link=board=1;threadid=10867;start=0#msg97358 date=1136721379]
    I want to hook up my HP Deskjet printer to my IBM Thinkpad running Win2000. Next, I would like to be able to print from my Tower system using Win XP and/or Linux, different distros. Also, I would like to be able to print using my Mini Mac (OS X).

Will this be complicated or not? I have been looking around and found some links on google. I'll keep you informed of my progress.

Thnx.

[/quote]

Should be simple. Setup the printer as a shared printer in 2K, then install it as a networked printer on XP. In Linux, se tup the printer up as a network printer with Samba. Not sure about the Mac, but it should easy as well.

Good Guru

I had it like that for a while but unless Win2K was just sitting and doing nothing, it would slow down. And I also had to occationally re-start the system just to make sure it clears out paging system. The setup part was easy though.

Now, I had my Ubuntu serve as print server. Scanning and printing with my Brother MFC8440 was pretty good although I don't have PC Fax functionality which I don't really need. CUPS is doing all the work and I set up other boxes using PPC protocol directly printing to the printer rather than Samba doing all the work. In my experience, using PPC would print out pages a lot faster than even local printing (for some reason).

I ditched Win2K as print server because I had hell of a hard time figuring out how to allow network printing with ZoneAlarm firewall. Without Firewall, it was easy.

YMMV.

I will work on this Wednesday when I'm off work. One reason I'm using W2K is the Mini doesn't have a printer port unless it's a usb printer, which mine isn't. The tower system is in the bedroom and no place to put the printer. The ole lady already complaining about the tower in the bedroom. ???

Thnx for the replies.

Good Guru

Well, like CGA said, it should be faily easy. Just install your printer, make sure you have Printer and File sharing turned on, set up your share that way. In WinXP and Linux (and Mac as well I think), just set it up to use "Networked printer" with your either IP addy or hostname as your server address.

It's pretty easy stuff.