Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

acer aspire 1300,a few questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: acer aspire 1300,a few questions

acer aspire 1300,a few questions

i got a "second hand" acer aspire 1300 from my sister, i installed mandriva 2005 on it (dual boot with pre-installed XP home). now i have 2 things i don't know how to solve

the aspire 1300 has a athlon 1400 cpu which runs seriously hot, the preinstalled XP has a "hotfix" (what's in a name) which makes the cpu run at 500 MHz instead of 1200 ( i think it can switch when needed, but not sure) . Can this be done in mandrake?
    and is there a cpu/temp monitoring program for mandrake? (in XP, hmonitor works on his machine)

my second problem is my wireless linksys wcp 11 v4.O pcmcia card. if i check "device manager", it is found correctly as a realtek 8081 wireless pcmcia card, but when i try to set up an internet connection, or settings, it simply does not find the wireless card. in mandrake control panel, i choose new connection, "wireless", it gives me the option to choose manual driver or ndiswrapper, but no matter what i do, ndisswrapper gives me and "error code 66"
    also, at boot up, only the onboard nic is "started" (eth0) . I found several links n how set up this card on mandrake trough google,(like this one) http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=284525
    but nothing has helped for me so far.

anyone any ideas?

Re:acer aspire 1300,a few questions

I think the cpu frature is called cpufreq scaling under linux (PowerNOW is what the processor calls it).

What is the output of the command
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    ?

Regarding the wireless card, you say that nothing has helped you so far. After you follow the instructions on the link you provided, what happened?
    Did you had the exact same behaviour as before?

this is wat i got from the command you gave me
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

ondemand powersave userspace performance

and for my linksys card

rpm -qa | grep ndis
    ndiswrapper-1.2-3mdk
    in the tutorial i linked above it says ndiswrapper-0.9-1mdk
    works perfect with my card, is it a problem that i have a newer
    version?

ndiswrapper -l

lswlnds5 invalid driver!
    net8180 driver present, hardware present
    oemsetup invalid driver!

when i do /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m
    first time got the correct message from in the tutorial
    (Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.conf )
    if i do the command again now it says the alias is already present.

this is the error i get every time when i try to set up wireless conection in mandrake control panel.
    insmod'ing module ndiswrapper failed at /user/lib/libDrakX/modules.pm line 66
    when i try iwconfig or ifconfig wlan0 i always get messages that the
    device is not found

i'm really at a loss here on what i'm doing wrong.
    every idea is very welcome

To lower the speed of the processor, do
    Code:
    echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    . More information here.

The ndiswrapper might be a Mandriva specific issue. However, I've never used it, so I can't really help with that.
    I'd suggest you check the Mandriva Forums, or install Ndiswrapper from scratch. Wiki here.

Good Guru

[quote author=grasshopper link=board=1;threadid=10855;start=0#msg97275 date=1136176637]
    the aspire 1300 has a athlon 1400 cpu which runs seriously hot, the preinstalled XP has a "hotfix" (what's in a name) which makes the cpu run at 500 MHz instead of 1200 ( i think it can switch when needed, but not sure) . Can this be done in mandrake?[/quote]
    I'm not sure but if you run AMD specific tuned kernel, it should have addressed it properly already.

I run AMD64 3200+ CPU and I've never seen what you described although YMMV.

is there a cpu/temp monitoring program for mandrake? (in XP, hmonitor works on his machine)
    Gkrellm is your friend.

my second problem is my wireless linksys wcp 11 v4.O pcmcia card.
    I run Ubuntu and I've never had any luck with using GUI based tools. Mine also run user ndiswrapper and I got it working following this manual. And also this is the thread where I outline what problem I faced and what was my solution. Follow that and if you still have problem, then ask for specific help. Hope this helps.

When following the instalation guide from the link you provided,
    everything goes according to it untill i give this command

modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz): Operation not permitted

and if i do iwconfig next, i get
    iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0 No such device

can i find out anywhere why this operation is 'not permitted'?

Are you doing this as root?

Good Guru

There was a bad ndiswrapper version out there. YOu need the lastest version of ndiswrapper to get it working.

I'd suggest to download directly from ndiswrapper web site for your distro (i guess rpm package would work).

Sorry for the long time between replies, but i finally got it working ;D ;D ;D

i downloaded fedora, but it gave me several troubles during installation process
    so that didn't help.

a friend ordered some cd's of the new ubuntu distro a while ago, (blue badger thinks its called or something like that) Installed it a few hours ago, installed an ndiswrapper tools package , followed the guides i linked to in the above posts, and it works ;D
    GUI tools didn't seem to work btw, but it worked perfect setting it up in console
    (good thing i love command prompts)
    This is the first site i visit on my new wireless ubuntu, thank you very much for all the help

btw, i never thought i'd leave mandy behind for another distro, but i guess its finally happened. (been using mandrake non stop since version 8.

now to see if i can get that cpufreg thingie working on this distro, and if i can get KDE installed on it (not really a gnome fan myself)

Good Guru

I'm glad Ubuntu worked out for you.

For KDE, all you need to do is "apt-get install kde".