Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Planning Intel-Ready iBook Debut for January

Hybrid View

Apple Planning Intel-Ready iBook Debut for January

It is not known exactly what processors or price points the new models will debut at, but it is thought Apple will expand the iBook line with one additional model and will lower prices—in some cases possibly $200 or more—to entice current Windows users and prove to the market it will be more competitive with the likes of Dell, Gateway, HP and Sony.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0511intelibook.html

Kind Mastermind

Re:Apple Planning Intel-Ready iBook Debut for January

If Apple maintains their solid hardware design, I think that such a computer would be an awesome addition to their line up. I wouldn't mind buying one, if it's priced right. Here are a few things that would interest me:

1. The Intel processor - there is way too much software that hasn't been successfully compiled on the PPC processor (very frustrating).
    2. Wine would work (I would really love to use wine and finally kick my meager dependence on M$).
    3. If I had to use Windows, I could and it would be on some of the most elegant hardware around (including the iBooks and iMacs).

Those are just some of the reasons why I would be interested. Of course, I'd like to see what kind of hardware they use. I'm sure it would have 512mb of RAM and at least a 1.5ghz processor. I am more interested in the optical and hard drives that they would include.

Cheers

Those are some good reasons. And like you mention, the hardware should be about on the money as far as what you said.

512mb ram, 1.5 or higher ghz processor. At least the Mini now ships with 512mb ram and a 1.4ghz proc. It also came with a combo drive(cd burner & dvd rom). So the Mactel should be better. Also at a lower cost! Plus USB & Firewire ports.

Mentor

I've been thinking about trying OS X. I know that it's based on Unix. Does this mean that I could take the source code of Unix/Linux programs, compile it and run it?

What kind of software can you run on OSx86? Do you have to wait for Apple to release MAC software compiled for Intel processors?

[quote author=cloverm link=board=11;threadid=10811;start=0#msg96973 date=1132757648]
    I've been thinking about trying OS X. I know that it's based on Unix. Does this mean that I could take the source code of Unix/Linux programs, compile it and run it?

What kind of software can you run on OSx86? Do you have to wait for Apple to release MAC software compiled for Intel processors?

[/quote]

I think that's interesting: are DirectX and ActiveX based on X/Unix?

[quote author=AljoshaNL link=board=11;threadid=10811;start=0#msg96974 date=1132763093]
    [quote author=cloverm link=board=11;threadid=10811;start=0#msg96973 date=1132757648]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I highly doubt that. I think ActiveX is used for embedded players, etc. I don't think Linux has ever had anything like (Active|Direct)X nor would be they based off of X/Linux. (I might be wrong though).

Kind Mastermind

[/quote]

Apple will be including a program called, I believe, Rosetta that will translate PPC/OSX software to Intel/OSX software. If vendors write their code according to the guidelines that Apple has issued, they will only need to recompile the software on an Intel machine. It should run without problems.

As for the source code question: the simple answer is maybe. If it is GUI dependent, no. If it isn't, it should compile and run (most of the time). If you have a version of X on your Mac, then you should be able to compile it, tell it where the X program is located and then it will fire up X and then run.

Cheers

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=AljoshaNL link=board=11;threadid=10811;start=0#msg96974 date=1132763093]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, they are not based on X/Unix at all. They were developed by M$ as reuseable components (ActiveX) or as a graphics API (DirectX). This was supposed to make things easier. Most of the time it did (which is why you see games that say that they require a DirectX9 compatible video card). Unfortunately, the ActiveX components were really not very well implemented have way too many security issues (M$ Explorer will automatically disable ActiveX components that are embedded in a webpage).

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=11;threadid=10811;start=0#msg96998 date=1133129280]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, they are not based on X/Unix at all. They were developed by M$ as reuseable components (ActiveX) or as a graphics API (DirectX). This was supposed to make things easier. Most of the time it did (which is why you see games that say that they require a DirectX9 compatible video card). Unfortunately, the ActiveX components were really not very well implemented have way too many security issues (M$ Explorer will automatically disable ActiveX components that are embedded in a webpage).

Cheers
    [/quote]
    Thanks for the explanation!

Kind Mastermind

No problem. I'm sure that there are others who could probably explain them in more accurate detail, but that was the dime store version. Glad it was helpful.

Cheers