Thread: Quake4 Linux

Hybrid View

Quake4 Linux

Re:Quake4 Linux

sweet...thanks ;D karma + ;D

Good Guru

I bought it today, and couldnt hit the torrent or ftp. I'll have to try later I guess.

the requirements for that game are insane, I think I'll stick to Quake3 for now - which also happens to be GPL'ed now - woohoo

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=8;threadid=10764;start=0#msg96643 date=1130035738]
    the requirements for that game are insane, I think I'll stick to Quake3 for now - which also happens to be GPL'ed now - woohoo
    [/quote]

Define insane.

I have a Athlon XP 3000+ 2GB Ram and a Geforce Fx 5700. It runs fine. Doom 3 sure as hell didnt. Considering same engine I am impressed.

Insane == will not run on 1600+, 512megs of ram and an ATI Radeon 9600.

Which in the grander scheme of things is a very fine setup, probably a million or two times the calculation power NASA used to send mankind to the moon.

I've tried to run windows version of doom3 under cedega, and I had lots of bugs with textures, so if Quake4 based on Doom3 engine ...

Btw I've run Unreal Tournament 2004 under cedega without any problems at all (I used OpenGL render, with editing UT2004.ini)

Good Guru
    Why bother running the windows version? There is a linux binary you can download that will actually perform decent without needing Wine's overhead.

That's great! But I have a problem with gaming under linux. My video card is GeForce7300GT, I use the latest Nvidia opengl drivers, but in all games under linux (doom3, UT, UT2004) textures are overbrighted. So what I should to do??? And how I could run Quake 4 normally? TIA
    (I use mandriva 2007, x64 edition)

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloK View Post
    That's great! But I have a problem with gaming under linux. My video card is GeForce7300GT, I use the latest Nvidia opengl drivers, but in all games under linux (doom3, UT, UT2004) textures are overbrighted. So what I should to do??? And how I could run Quake 4 normally? TIA
    (I use mandriva 2007, x64 edition)
    Sorry about the late reply. Missed it apparently.

I reccomend avoiding x64 OSs like the black plaque. Stick 32, and your results will improve. As for the textures, I dont see where that came from. I recently went from a 5700U to a 7600 and it looked better and is now faster, but not that dramatic in the quality department, and assuredly the textures were identical and quite fine.

Now, nVIDIA has a good GUI confiurator that can set global settings for you, and that just leaves the moron game that doesnt listen to be tweaked (none of the aforementioned games give me grief).

HTH.