Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

New Video Card - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Video Card

Re:New Video Card

I've finally got Mepis going, mostly same commands as Ubuntu but once you type, sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-settings, than you have to go in KDE, Display & Mouse section to enable nVidia.

Another thing I noticed, in Mepis when I type, glxgears, it moves pretty fast, but in Ubuntu it moves slow.

Any ideas on why this may be?

Thnx.

Do I need to inform you on how the ATI Radeon 9250 is the superior videocard - fully accelerated via EXA using open technologies, this means pop it in your machine and ZERO setup you are ready to roll.

All this relying on closed source drivers to accelerate X is sorta scary.

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=3;threadid=10759;start=0#msg96907 date=1131981447]
    Do I need to inform you on how the ATI Radeon 9250 is the superior videocard - fully accelerated via EXA using open technologies, this means pop it in your machine and ZERO setup you are ready to roll.

All this relying on closed source drivers to accelerate X is sorta scary.
    [/quote]

At first I thought you were full of it, but corrected I stand:

http://freestone-group.com/video-car...k-results.html

The ATI 9250 (421-939) is about on par with a GeForce FX 5700 (579 - 822) or GeForce 6600(549 - 891).

Didn't ATI just recently start offering open source drivers for newer cards?

I just got rid of an older ATI Radeon 7200 which didn't have any drivers offered by ATI.

Good Guru

The 9250 isnt new. The source that is given to the OSS community is their old stuff that they no longer need to worry about competition on.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=3;threadid=10759;start=0#msg96916 date=1132015356]
    The 9250 isnt new. The source that is given to the OSS community is their old stuff that they no longer need to worry about competition on.
    [/quote]

It is however:

a) very popular hardware, the 92xx is in the Mac Mini (I think) and in many laptops.

b) still very good technology - more than enough to offer bling on the Linux desktop.

Good Guru

No, I know that. Just saying that it isnt the newest, nor the most powerful. Although, I wish I could replace my laptops graphics with that. I wouldnt have so many freaking problems with hibernate and framerates that are pisspoor.

Although I still prefer matrox G400/G450 cards for 2d quality, these cards arent that bad either, and quite possibly may be cheaper.

Good Guru

[quote author=Saptech link=board=3;threadid=10759;start=0#msg96901 date=1131888359]
    I wonder if the apt commands would work with Debian Sid?
    [/quote]
    APT works with any and all Debian.