Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Refresh rate limited to 60 hz in Ubuntu? (FIXED)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refresh rate limited to 60 hz in Ubuntu? (FIXED)

Hybrid View

Refresh rate limited to 60 hz in Ubuntu? (FIXED)

Hi,

Just installed ubuntu, and it's great Only one problem: Refresh rate is locked at 60 hz, it's erally annoys me. The only way of having a normal expreciende is to use 800x680 resolution, which is just too small for me :-X
    I used Xconfigurator in CollegeLinux (slackware), is there anything like that for Ubuntu(newest version, .10 I guess)

Aljosha

Graphical card is GeForce 2 MMX 400
    Monitor is a Sony GDM-17E21

Re:Refresh rate limited to 60 hz in Ubuntu?

hi AljoshaNL,
    The refresh rate is typically set to the highhest availbe setting for xorg -but if this fails (as it sometimes does) then we can plade with the modelines and get it working properly. To do think you need to know teh specs - I think these can be retrieved with some tools (can't remember name now...) - but this moniter does not show up for me under sony - but silicon graphics, the manual would also help with mode lines.

I found these specs for that monitor, but as PBHarris said, it appears a Silicon Graphics, not Sony.

Code:
     Silicon Graphics GDM-17E21 (Sony Trinitron OEM)
    Resolution: H Max = 1280 dots, V Max = 1024 lines
    Deflection freq: H = 30-85 Hz, V = 48 to 150 Hz

SGI Part No.:           061-0010-001
    Resolution:             1280x1024
    Vertical Scan:          48-160 Hz
    Horizontal Scan:        30-85kHz
    Of course, now I notice it says Sony Trinitron OEM....

You might want to open your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and make sure those are the values entered for your monitor.

Yup, it's a silicon graph. monitor, but sony manifactured it.
    Thanks for all the replies, going to try it out.
    BTW how did you find the specs? I searched for them until madness!

I usually Google for the monitor name. Specs for it usually come up pretty fast.

That's exactly what I did :-[...
    /but back to the point:
    I changed xorg.conf file:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier"Generic Monitor"
    Option"DPMS"
    HorizSync30-85
    VertRefresh48-160
    EndSection

The thing I changed was the Sync rates to the Sync rates my specs showed.
    I didn't find something about 'refresh rates' in the file, so I made my changes and restarted the X-server... (logout and login again, taht's what I did)
    I didn't find more refresh rates in the 'resolution' config applet.

Those are the changes needed. After that, it is supposed to automagically adjust the refresh rate to the best value possible for the resolution you are using.

Thanks for all replies, amazing how fast I got help ;D
    I didn't experience this with M$

I had to reboot my system, not just logout-login (yes that worked with Fedora)...

Thanks!!! Aljosha

Re:Refresh rate limited to 60 hz in Ubuntu? (FIXED)

[quote author=AljoshaNL link=board=1;threadid=10747;start=0#msg96513 date=1129139047]
    <snip>
    I used Xconfigurator in CollegeLinux (slackware), is there anything like that for Ubuntu(newest version, .10 I guess)

Aljosha

<snip>
    [/quote]

The latest version of Ubuntu is 5.10 Not .10

Re:Refresh rate limited to 60 hz in Ubuntu? (FIXED)

Whoops
    Excuse me