Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Why Linux isn't ready for desktops

Thread: Why Linux isn't ready for desktops

Mentor

Why Linux isn't ready for desktops

While the author is right about a lot of things, the title is misleading. Linux IS ready for the desktop, we've been using it for years. It should be titled: "Why Linux isn't ready for the masses".

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Why_Linux_isn_t_ready_for_desktops/0,2000061733,39202374,00.htm

Good Guru

Re:Why Linux isn't ready for desktops

I think certain legalities prohibit free (as in no cash) distros from being what we all want. But for the money, a copy of Linspire is cheap and gets the job done. So does Red Hat and Novell desktops (the money charging ones, that have all of the multimedia support).

Too bad that we all depend on Windows Media and MP3 as much as we do. And that the anuses at the MPAA wont allow a linux binary without pulling teeth. Linspire has a legal one, but Lord knows for how much longer. That deal is set to expire in a year or two.

I think that is a hurdle, but there is definitely no reason why the mass cannot use linux. I think that if there were more desktops at the store that demoed the products better that we would have a quicker adoption.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=10586;start=0#msg95182 date=1121888275]
    I think certain legalities prohibit free (as in no cash) distros from being what we all want. But for the money, a copy of Linspire is cheap and gets the job done. So does Red Hat and Novell desktops (the money charging ones, that have all of the multimedia support).

Too bad that we all depend on Windows Media and MP3 as much as we do. And that the anuses at the MPAA wont allow a linux binary without pulling teeth. Linspire has a legal one, but Lord knows for how much longer. That deal is set to expire in a year or two.

I think that is a hurdle, but there is definitely no reason why the mass cannot use linux. I think that if there were more desktops at the store that demoed the products better that we would have a quicker adoption.
    [/quote]

Which is why reliance on proprietary formats is a bad thing. MP3 and Windows Media users will always be at the mercy of companies.

I have to use MP3 because OGG gives me terrible quality, a lot off noice if I play louder than standard.

Good Guru

[quote author=AljoshaNL link=board=13;threadid=10586;start=0#msg96832 date=1131430314]
    I have to use MP3 because OGG gives me terrible quality, a lot off noice if I play louder than standard.
    [/quote]

Check your transcoding settings. My oggs are smaller and at better quality, when ripped from CD. I can attest that OGG is superior now, and has been for at least 3 years.

Good Guru

Right. If you encode from MP2 to OGG, you are not going to get better quality than MP3. You stand to loose some quality in the process.

Ok how about this:

My like linux, but dosen't want to spend much time to get a working system going.

He complains about myspace.com pages crashing firefox on linux. Plus embeded videos don't play.

I don't blame him. I have plugins and all and firefox still crashes. THis is just one of his complaints.