Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install Kmail

Re:How to install Kmail

ok going over to google now... hee hee

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=10732;start=0#msg96386 date=1128609137]
    [quote author=hawkcl link=board=2;threadid=10732;start=0#msg96384 date=1128608963]
    I manage to find Kmail on my system. Now what can I do to configure to receive mails from an external mail server.

I need to use Kmail on hotmail. Is this possible?

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=2;threadid=10732;start=0#msg96369 date=1128453508]
    ok I will try that

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=10732;start=0#msg96365 date=1128441476]
    I'm guessing it *might* be installed, but not on the menu.
    Perhaps try

Code:
    updatedb
    to creade a file index database, then
    Code:
    locate kmail
    to see if it finds it anywhere.

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Did the people that said that it was "really good to download hotmail accounts" told you how to do it?
    Otherwise, I just checked Google for "kmail + hotmail" and got a bunch of results. You might want to check it
    [/quote]

I got something called the "hotwayd". Its meant to help me use Kmail to download mails from hotmails.

I checked with the guys from MSN but got nothing from them. Actually still waiting..... hoping to hear from them soon.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=2;threadid=10732;start=0#msg96388 date=1128609824]
    I got something called the "hotwayd". Its meant to help me use Kmail to download mails from hotmails.

I checked with the guys from MSN but got nothing from them. Actually still waiting..... hoping to hear from them soon.
    [/quote]

You are unlikely to get a response from them. MSN is, by nature, Windows oriented, not Linux oriented. I'm willing to bet two things:

1. They don't want you using any program that provides POP3/IMAP4-type functionality that interfaces with Hotmail. This takes away a revinue stream from them (I think their paid service allows POP3 access, which might be called Hotmail Plus).
    2. They don't want you using a non-approved (i.e. non-Windows compatible) program to access their servers. I think that Outlook (not express) knows how to access Hotmail as a web service (doesn't really download anything, it just allows you to view your Hotmail account).

Now, having said all of that, why do you use Hotmail? If you would like, you can PM me with your email address and I can send you an invite to gmail (Google mail). I have about 50 invites available to me (if anyone else would like an invite, just PM me).

Cheers

I used to do the hotmail+kmail thing. You do it using a perl (or java maybe?) script called gotmail. I remember there being another app called MrPostman that did a similar thing.
    Problem is, every time the Hotmail layout is changed, the application would crap out. Then you'd have to wait for the maintainer of the application to make a new version.

gotmail
    Mr.Postman

So basically you are saying that kmail is not that good. What should I use instead. A bit confused.

I have a few account I need to monitor.

Yahoo & Hotmail.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=2;threadid=10732;start=0#msg96391 date=1128610504]
    Yes I like that very much, but most of my correspondance is with Hotmail.

my email: hawkcl@hotmail.com

Actually right now I am looking for work and I am using my hotmail account to get job responds.

Is Gmail better than Hotmail. I have trying to get an account with them for some time already.

[/quote]

Gmail allows you to have an inbox that is roughly 2.5 gigs in size. I think that hotmail (which my wife uses) has only about 250 megs or so. The interface is clean and everything gets indexed so that searching is very fast. Read some of the comments about gmail on google and such...there are some privacy concerns (which I'm not really worried about, personnally). Only you can know whether or not gmail, hotmail, yahoo!mail, etc is right for you. It is truly a "buy beware" world out there.

I am at work right now, so I won't be able to invite you until later on tonight (say, seven or more hours).

Cheers

I hear you. No worries, I can wait. Its about my bed time over here. Leave me a note, I can pick it up in the morning.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=2;threadid=10732;start=0#msg96395 date=1128610962]
    So basically you are saying that kmail is not that good. What should I use instead. A bit confused.

I have a few account I need to monitor.

Yahoo & Hotmail.

[/quote]

kmail is fine. Since it's an open-source project, Mr Ballmer wants to crush it. That is all. There are a lot of great programs out there that will interface a mail program with an internet email service (ypop! for yahoo, for instance). It's all about choice and control. Hotmail doesn't want you to have the ability to choose or to have control over that ability. That is why there are so many projects that interface between kmail/thunderbird/etc and hotmail, gmail, yahoo mail, etc.

I think the client you use, whether it is firefox, thunderbird, lynx, etc should be your choice, not some corporate office somewhere. That is a freedom choice. If you like kmail, then use it. If it's more convenient to use something else, use that. Just don't let a large, heartless corporation dictate to you what programs, what OS, what color boxers you use. It isn't fair and it isn't right.

Now, I am stepping off of my soap box.

Cheers

Kmail is not the problem. No application except Microsoft's can access Hotmail directly, since they do not provide access by normal email protocols. So the only email programs you can use to access hotmail accounts, under Windows or Linux or any other OS in the universe, are Outlook and Outlook Express.
    However, some people have created middleware in order to access hotmail through an email client.
    I already linked to 2 of those.

I hear you about selecting a corporate mail software. Ha Ha Ha, I enjoy that speech. I truly believe that, that is also one of the reson why I decided to step into the unknown to try out Linux instead. Its safer, and the development has a lot of room to learn from.

The OS was developed by the people for the people.

I have been using Linux for the last 2 weeks now and I am loving every minute of it.

I just need to figure out some way to play games on it, and I can stop the cold turkey.... ;D