Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Fresh windows install, can't boot Linux anymore :(

Thread: Fresh windows install, can't boot Linux anymore :(

Hybrid View

Fresh windows install, can't boot Linux anymore :(

Hello Again.

I just installd a fresh Windows 2k (i needed to install it again), but when i boot my computer it just boots windows, it doesn't asks 'make you choice'. How can I get the choice menu?

Thanks in advance
    Aljsoha

Re:Fresh windows install, can't boot Linux anymore :(

Which version of linux are you using? Were you using Lilo or Grub as your boot loader? Do you still have your installation cd's?

Hello,

Sorry, forgot about it!
    Using Fedora Core 4, have the four CD's right here
    I can't see the system using any loader at all, but I know Fedora uses GRUB.

Thanks in advance

ok, this can be fixed, but involves a lot of delicate steps. I suggest you write them down:

1. Boot to your 1st Fedora cd. On the Fedora splashscreen, before the install starts, type "linux rescue."
    Code:
    linuux rescue
    2. Follow the dialog, and if asked, allow the cd to mount the hard disk in read-write mode (can't remember the exact phrase, because I don't have my cd available.)
    3. When it is done booting, create a directory to mount your Fedora partition.
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/fedora
    4. Mount your Fedora partition on this new directory.
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdx /mnt/fedora
    where hdx = the partition where you installed linux. (If you are not sure, you can do
    Code:
    fdisk -p /dev/hda
    . This should show you all the partitions on your disk.
    5. This step is only necesary if your /boot folder is on a different partition. Otherwise, go to step 6.
    If your /boot resides on a different partition, mount it under /mnt/fedora/boot.
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdy /mnt/fedora/boot
    where /dev/hdy is the partition where your /boot resides.
    6. You're almost there. Now, you have to tell linux to treat the /mnt/fedora folder as the root of linux. This will make all the folder settings match your installation.
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/fedora
    7. Finally, reinstall grub to the MBR of hda.
    Code:
    grub-install /dev/hda
    8. If there were no errors, reboot the computer.
    Code:
    reboot
    Please not that, if your hard disk is a SCSI, SATA or PATA drive, your installations wouldn't be /dec/hda but /dev/sda (most likely).

Good luck.

Thanks, going to try it out after my match of waterpolo
    Thanks again and again

Thanks, I wrote a doc about it wich is in the same category as this topic. Thanks for the tutorial! But it wasnt all. You will get mount, chroot, and grub-install errors
    please correct me if im wrong in my document

AljoshaNL