Thread: Linux users warned over Firefox flaw

Linux users warned over Firefox flaw

Linux users warned over Firefox flaw

And you thought this only happened under Windows...

Re:Linux users warned over Firefox flaw

well - for the most part - yes. and i still feel much safer on Linux than ms windows

Good Guru

There are many vulnerabilities but most required the user to be following specially coded web pages and executing arbitrary shell commands. If you are smart enough NOT to allow that (read: open all messages without knowing who and what it's all about, clicking all links and stuff), then the chances are minimized.

Still, it just shows that no piece of software is idiot proof. More still, I just sleeps better knowing that my OS/MUA is secure enough to avoid very common mistakes such as being exploited automagically every seconds.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=5;threadid=10711;start=0#msg96186 date=1127452201]
    There are many vulnerabilities but most required the user to be following specially coded web pages and executing arbitrary shell commands. If you are smart enough NOT to allow that (read: open all messages without knowing who and what it's all about, clicking all links and stuff), then the chances are minimized.

Still, it just shows that no piece of software is idiot proof. More still, I just sleeps better knowing that my OS/MUA is secure enough to avoid very common mistakes such as being exploited automagically every seconds.
    [/quote]

Completely Agreed. Also, the fix has been implemented in Firefox 1.0.7. So unlike Microsoft, I believe the OSS devs are working on really satisfying the customers by bringing in tentative fixes as quickly as possible and then working toward a permanent fix - which can be shown in this example. Also, as Compunuts said, a software can be fully protected as software keeps improving and with those, new exploits are found all the time and they just have to be fixed. You cannot expect to stop developing an application and expect no bugs to be found. I am not that worried as I already upgraded to Firefox 1.0.7. I was really disappointed based on some replies on /. about how the Firefox devs did not do a satisfying job in that they did not cover the bugs, etc.