Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Best routing/webserving distro

Thread: Best routing/webserving distro

Best routing/webserving distro

I have build a router with webserving tools with FC3, but I am willing to go one step further. I want to build a light weight one (IE withouth the graphical interface and with less installed packadges).

In theory I think I have got the IPtables thing... but now I need a good distro. I was thinking about debian (or FC3) what are your thoughts? And what are the pro's / con's of each one?

Re:Best routing/webserving distro

My recommendation is to go with a distro you already know, unless you're willing to start learning a new distro.
    You can always make a customized installation of any distro, nd not install x, gnome ,etc.

alotta people like using open/freebsd for a gateway/router/webserver, but if you dont know bsd i say go with something you are familiar with as well, fundamentally it comes down to the software you are using on all distros, apache, etc.

Good Guru

I would go CentOS (Red Hat enterprise srpm rebuild) or OpenBSD (assuming they support what you want).

But OBSD is a bit different, and if you:

A) Dont have the patience
    B) Dont have the time
    C) Mission critical (IE not for at home and for fun)

I would stick to what you know if thats the case. If you know Red Hat or Fedora Core, use CentOS. Its great.

Thanks for you imput guys!

I choose Debian (for now). As a compromise between BSD and the distro's which install a lot of extra's I dont need (allthough I know better).

Debian means I have to adapt to a certain extend (I know only FC3), but not as much as with FreeBSD (where even ifconfig is not the coorect syntax) for the A) and B) criterium in schottys post apply to me. So it seems like a nice balanced choice. Eventually I will get bored again though and try BSD I think, if even to enhance my knowledge in this magnificent "world".

Thx again for your imputs (gotta love this forum)!

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=10690;start=0#msg95998 date=1126951204]
    I would go CentOS (Red Hat enterprise srpm rebuild) or OpenBSD (assuming they support what you want).

But OBSD is a bit different, and if you:

A) Dont have the patience
    B) Dont have the time
    C) Mission critical (IE not for at home and for fun)

I would stick to what you know if thats the case. If you know Red Hat or Fedora Core, use CentOS. Its great.
    [/quote]

I second the Centos recommendation. It's a fantastic distro.

Good Guru

Thanks CGA. People really need to see it in action I think to fully appreciate the work put into Red Hat Enterprise. It is rock solid and a real workhorse.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=10690;start=0#msg96009 date=1126966945]
    Thanks CGA. People really need to see it in action I think to fully appreciate the work put into Red Hat Enterprise. It is rock solid and a real workhorse.
    [/quote]

Indeed. It is utterly rock solid stable and runs very smoothly. I have to say, CentOS feels more like a commercial product with no rough edges than so many other distros. Plus it is a snap to administer. I don't even look at other disros anymore.