Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandriva Linux?

Re:Mandriva Linux?

oh another thing I despise about Mandriva, despite their size and popularity they don't contribute as much back to the community as say RedHat, Novell or Ubuntu, infact when grepping source for their email addies I seldomly turn anything up at all. That's having poor ethics and being a bad open source citizen.

Good Guru

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96066 date=1127133594]
    I'm sorry, but that did not make any sense to me. But I guess from a certain point of view Linux has some areas which fits well with others.

That is why I hope to learn more on the OS. I have heard so many good things about Linux but have not tried it.

Right now, I am only reading a lot from the web site. Could you give me some direction where should I start from?
    I really want to get started on my linux and finally cut Windows out.
    [/quote]

My points will make more sense once you get linux a bit more.

As for learning, I would either ask specific questions or get a good book on linux and go from there. I do suggest the book, since you can always refer to it, and take it with as reading material while at school, work, bus, plane, train, etc.

Linux is simply put, a UNIX like OS. It has the UNIX mindset and filesystem. So if you have used BSD, Solaris, AIX, DEC -- its very similar to that, just with more software and a strong aim at usability.

Personally, I would reccommend the following choices depending on what skill level you are at:

Zero Technical Skill : Linspire
    Some, but willing to do some grunt work : Fedora Core or Ubuntu or SuSE.
    A good amount or higher : Slackware or the above Fedora, Ubuntu, and SuSE. Linspire is great for t he lazy, such as myself, too. My personal favorite (as the avatar shows) is Fedora, and Red Hat's products. They arent difficult to use, but can be very powerful to the power user. Ubuntu has gotten a buttload better since their first release.

To just try out linux, go over to Linspire's site, and grab their Live CD, or hit Ubuntu and SuSE for similar free downloads. These LiveCD's are bootable CD's that dont touch the hard drive, but let you use linux. Great for repair work too. Unfortunately I cannot offer you a fedora Live CD at this time.

Great stuff!

Thanks for the direction, I guess these last 2 days I have got so much information in the shortest time possible.

Thanks to everyone who I have communciated in this chat room.

Because of time difference, it takes me like almosta day to troubleshoot any problems I might have.

I will take your advice and proceed from there. Right now I have the Fedora Core 3. Recently downloaded, guess I can try that first.

Thank you Thank you........

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96070 date=1127136747]
    [quote author=hawkcl link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96066 date=1127133594]
    I'm sorry, but that did not make any sense to me. But I guess from a certain point of view Linux has some areas which fits well with others.

That is why I hope to learn more on the OS. I have heard so many good things about Linux but have not tried it.

Right now, I am only reading a lot from the web site. Could you give me some direction where should I start from?
    I really want to get started on my linux and finally cut Windows out.
    [/quote]

My points will make more sense once you get linux a bit more.

As for learning, I would either ask specific questions or get a good book on linux and go from there. I do suggest the book, since you can always refer to it, and take it with as reading material while at school, work, bus, plane, train, etc.

Linux is simply put, a UNIX like OS. It has the UNIX mindset and filesystem. So if you have used BSD, Solaris, AIX, DEC -- its very similar to that, just with more software and a strong aim at usability.

Personally, I would reccommend the following choices depending on what skill level you are at:

Zero Technical Skill : Linspire
    Some, but willing to do some grunt work : Fedora Core or Ubuntu or SuSE.
    A good amount or higher : Slackware or the above Fedora, Ubuntu, and SuSE. Linspire is great for t he lazy, such as myself, too. My personal favorite (as the avatar shows) is Fedora, and Red Hat's products. They arent difficult to use, but can be very powerful to the power user. Ubuntu has gotten a buttload better since their first release.

To just try out linux, go over to Linspire's site, and grab their Live CD, or hit Ubuntu and SuSE for similar free downloads. These LiveCD's are bootable CD's that dont touch the hard drive, but let you use linux. Great for repair work too. Unfortunately I cannot offer you a fedora Live CD at this time.

[/quote]

Good Guru

I always reccomend sticking with the latest for all newcomers. If you find that any application is flaky or hardware support is missing, check to see if it works in FC4 and if so get that. For now, you shouldnt see much of a difference, but we are in a VERY fast paced development world and alot can change in 6 months (the lifecycle roughly for the FC releases)

Advisor

Because of time difference, it takes me like almost a day to troubleshoot any problems I might have.
    What do you mean "time difference", we here at ljr are spread all over the world, should be odd if you weren't able to find anyone within reasonable time (a few hours)

I tried looking just in my neck of my woods, but it seems the only people interested in linux can be found only in the US.

[quote author=redhead link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96075 date=1127139231]
    Because of time difference, it takes me like almost a day to troubleshoot any problems I might have.
    What do you mean "time difference", we here at ljr are spread all over the world, should be odd if you weren't able to find anyone within reasonable time (a few hours)
    [/quote]

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96076 date=1127144861]
    I tried looking just in my neck of my woods, but it seems the only people interested in linux can be found only in the US.

[quote author=redhead link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96075 date=1127139231]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Absolutely not true - we are all over the place.

Kind Mastermind

What time zone are you in? At various times we've had people log in from Korea, Japan, all over the US, Denmark, England, Australia, Canada, Turkey, even Qatar. So, generally speaking, there should be someone somewhere who is close to you.

Cheers