Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandriva Linux?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandriva Linux?

Mentor

Mandriva Linux?

What happened to mandrake? Has anything changed other than the name?

Re:Mandriva Linux?

[quote author=boblucci link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96043 date=1127048039]
    What happened to mandrake? Has anything changed other than the name?
    [/quote]

There was a law suit over the Mandrake name by the owners of the "Mandrake the Magician" comic strip. Mandrake bought another distro -- Conectiva, and thus the new name, Mandriva.

no it's still crap

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96049 date=1127061657]
    no it's still crap
    [/quote]
    Now, really. Tell us how you really feel.

;D

Personally, I have yet to have a really good experience with their products. I even gave it a 3 month try. I ditched RH9 for it, and went right back with FC1.

Hi Schotty,

Why is Mandriva crap? Has it not worked for you yet?

Hawkcl
    [quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96053 date=1127068366]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96049 date=1127061657]
    no it's still crap
    [/quote]
    Now, really. Tell us how you really feel.

;D

Personally, I have yet to have a really good experience with their products. I even gave it a 3 month try. I ditched RH9 for it, and went right back with FC1.
    [/quote]

let me clarify, my dad uses Mandriva on his machine, he is a club member so I have years of experience using the system.

Mandriva packages a lot of questionable software which admittedly make his life easier, mp3s plays and that type of stuff.

But for my money, Mandriva is completely broken, their GNOME never works as it's supposed to, there's no clear overriding vision aside "KDE fucking rocks", they provide no proactive security, they mess with GCC settings in ways that are plain disgusting and wrong.

it's unstable and unusable.

I just don't like it.

Good Guru

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96058 date=1127094217]
    Hi Schotty,

Hawkcl
    [/quote]

No, I have had very poor results. Slow system, poorly configured kernels, the GCC BS that LC mentioned, odd packages and default settings. There is alot of work that I think they should get to working on soon. There is a reason that Red Hat is king. There is a reason that Linspire is doing as well as it is. There is a reason that despite YaST being fubar that SuSE still is a very strong force. They don't screw around like Mandrake did. Now, Connectiva was pretty good, and hope that Mandriva takes alot of their ethics and quality practices and puts them front and foremost.

I'm sorry, but that did not make any sense to me. But I guess from a certain point of view Linux has some areas which fits well with others.

That is why I hope to learn more on the OS. I have heard so many good things about Linux but have not tried it.

Right now, I am only reading a lot from the web site. Could you give me some direction where should I start from?

I really want to get started on my linux and finally cut Windows out.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96065 date=1127132858]
    [quote author=hawkcl link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96058 date=1127094217]
    Hi Schotty,

Hawkcl
    [/quote]

No, I have had very poor results. Slow system, poorly configured kernels, the GCC BS that LC mentioned, odd packages and default settings. There is alot of work that I think they should get to working on soon. There is a reason that Red Hat is king. There is a reason that Linspire is doing as well as it is. There is a reason that despite YaST being fubar that SuSE still is a very strong force. They don't screw around like Mandrake did. Now, Connectiva was pretty good, and hope that Mandriva takes alot of their ethics and quality practices and puts them front and foremost.
    [/quote]

[quote author=hawkcl link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96066 date=1127133594]
    I'm sorry, but that did not make any sense to me. But I guess from a certain point of view Linux has some areas which fits well with others.

That is why I hope to learn more on the OS. I have heard so many good things about Linux but have not tried it.

Right now, I am only reading a lot from the web site. Could you give me some direction where should I start from?

I really want to get started on my linux and finally cut Windows out.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96065 date=1127132858]
    Hi Schotty,

Hawkcl
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    Check our PET section.
    Also, check this thread.

when you join the mandriva club, do we need to pay any money? ???

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=10700;start=0#msg96059 date=1127097998]
    let me clarify, my dad uses Mandriva on his machine, he is a club member so I have years of experience using the system.

Mandriva packages a lot of questionable software which admittedly make his life easier, mp3s plays and that type of stuff.

But for my money, Mandriva is completely broken, their GNOME never works as it's supposed to, there's no clear overriding vision aside "KDE fucking rocks", they provide no proactive security, they mess with GCC settings in ways that are plain disgusting and wrong.

it's unstable and unusable.

I just don't like it.
    [/quote]