Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SuSE 9.3 Install Hangs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuSE 9.3 Install Hangs

SuSE 9.3 Install Hangs

Hi all,

I've just decided to try out SuSE Linux 9.3 as I am getting more and more fed up with Windoze. I have downloaded the DVD Eval image but I am experiencing the following installation issue;

- The install sometimes hangs at any stage after loading YaST
    - The install ALWAYS hangs while installing the actual OS/Packages
    - I also get errors during the package install stage that a package failed to install, however when I click retry it installs fine, then after a few more packages it usually crashes as I mentioned above

I have performed the following troubleshooing;

- Checked the MD5 on the ISO ... this is fine
    - Tried installing to different HDD (bought a new HDD!) - Still hangs
    - Tried different install methods, install, install - disabled acpi, and install - safe mode - Still hangs
    - Disabled onboard RAID chips in BIOS for bothe IDE & SATA (I have no RAID setup)

Could anyone please assist me as I am really really keen in getting into SuSE. I did managed to get Mandrake installed fine but had some problems with hardware compatibility (namely the network card) thats why I'm trying SuSE instead. My system specs are as below;

Gigabyte K8NS Pro
    AMD Athlon64 3200
    1Gb RAM
    3 x HDD (2 x SATA 1 x IDE)
    GeForce 6800 GT

I will be very grateful for any assistance - Thanks!

Sam

Good Guru

Re:SuSE 9.3 Install Hangs

This is a stab, but it may have to do with the sata. I have heard some odd issues with several mainstream distros when sata and pata are mixed. My reccomendation, disable one (sata or pata) and install to the other. After install enable it again.

Again, this is a mere stab. But may be worth a try, since it is all BIOS related.

Hi Schotty,

I would like to try what you suggested but I have the following problem with that, first I'll just list what HDDs I have and what they have on them;

SATA1: 70Gb - Windows XP - Contrains MBR
    SATA2: 120Gb - Reserved for SuSE
    PATA1: 180Gb - Used for storage

Now if I removed SATA1 & PATA1 and install SuSE (lets assume that does resolve the issue) it will create a boot loader which won't let me boot to Windows as the MBR is on another drive - Is there anyway around this?

Cheers!

A quick update;

I removed the PATA drive and left the 2 SATAs connected and then tried to install - Unfortunately it hung again, however I did manage to get the following error message while the installer was trying to install a package before the machine hung;

ERROR(InstTarget:E_RpmDB_subprocess_failed)

Does thie error shed any light on the problem?

Re:SuSE 9.3 Install Hangs - RESOLVED

I've resolved this issue ;D

I had to underclock my RAM from 200Mhz to 166Mhz and this allowed the install to proceed without a hitch (I did a google search on the error above to get that info). I am now in the process of using YOU to get all the updates.

Once installed I'll try whacking my RAM back to 200Mhz and see what happens - Thanks for all your help ... I'll certainly be sticking around here

Good Guru

Wow, odd error, and wierd fix. But hey, it worked

I am curious, is this a chipset issue, or is your RAM bad? Linux will flip out more than WIndows with bad hardware, but at least will let you know about it (windows wont normally at all tell you of flaky hardware errors).

I thought that to begin with but I ran the memory tester and it came back with no errors - I'm glad its working now the real fun starts I'm a complete newbie with linux and configuring my system should be interesting!

Good Guru

Well, its good to see that you have the fortitude and constitution to fix the woes on your own. Thats how one needed to be 6 or 7 years ago.

SuSE is a pretty well polished OS. You should be quite pleased with their product. Feel free to ask for app suggestions.

Like AmaroK, Evolution,GAIM, and the Battle for Wesnoth

Thanks for the initial app suggestions - I certainly like the look of GAIM and AmaroK. Any suggestions for a BitTorrent app for Linux?