Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

x-window-system not starting (probably due to bad configuration)

Thread: x-window-system not starting (probably due to bad configuration)

Hybrid View

x-window-system not starting (probably due to bad configuration)

I am used to FC3 (but was still a newbie though even on that) but I am trying to switch want to switch to debian. NOt that I REALLY need it but I wanted to install the x-window-system (if only for the experience)... so I did the following:

[tt]apt-get install x-window-system[/tt]

When it was getting installed, some nifty configuration program asked me a lot of questions. I must Admit I did not made all my desisions as I thought-threw as I probably should have... thinking I can reconfigure later. Now I pay the prise... when I then type: startx I get the following message (I think it has to do with my mouse). How can I either run the configuration program or edit a configurationfile to solve this?

Module Loader present
    OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.27-2-386 (horms@tabatha.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)) #1 Mon May 16 16:47:51 JST 2005
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Sep 17 14:15:58 2005
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_vertex.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o": No symbols found
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
    No such device.
    (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
    No core pointer

Fatal server error:
    failed to initialize core devices

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
    the full server output, not just the last messages.
    This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
    Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    Help would be highly apreciated!

Re:x-window-system not starting (probably due to bad configuration)

[quote author=woosting link=board=6;threadid=10693;start=0#msg96006 date=1126964192]
    I am used to FC3 (but was still a newbie though even on that) but I am trying to switch want to switch to debian. NOt that I REALLY need it but I wanted to install the x-window-system (if only for the experience)... so I did the following:

[tt]apt-get install x-window-system[/tt]

When it was getting installed, some nifty configuration program asked me a lot of questions. I must Admit I did not made all my desisions as I thought-threw as I probably should have... thinking I can reconfigure later. Now I pay the prise... when I then type: startx I get the following message (I think it has to do with my mouse). How can I either run the configuration program or edit a configurationfile to solve this?

Module Loader present
    OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.27-2-386 (horms@tabatha.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)) #1 Mon May 16 16:47:51 JST 2005
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Sep 17 14:15:58 2005
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_vertex.o": No symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o": No symbols found
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
    No such device.
    (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
    No core pointer

Fatal server error:
    failed to initialize core devices

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
    the full server output, not just the last messages.
    This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
    Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    Help would be highly apreciated!
    [/quote]

You need to install a specific x-server and some other packages as well to get get X working on Debian box. Try looking at the "recommeded" package list when you install "x-window-system" and make sure to add those packages (there's a modprobe or somesuch thing that is important).

Also, you'll have to fix you fonts- they are rather bad on a stock Debian system.

Re:x-window-system not starting (probably due to bad configuration)

Ah.. I found out what the problem was... I selected VESA (the default drivers during Debian installation), which in fact should be (or at least it works) VGA.