Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Error installing kernel patch suse 9.1 plz help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error installing kernel patch suse 9.1 plz help

Error installing kernel patch suse 9.1 plz help

Hello Friends,

I am new to this forum and linux.

I have tried to compile and install a kernel patch but make gives errors. The patch is supplied by gnokii to enable Nokia phones to be accessed through a DKU2 cable attached to USB port.
    I'm using Suse 9.1; kernel_2.6

This is what i have done:

1) cd gnokii-0.68/patches/kernel_2.6

2)./configure --with-kernsrcdir=/lib/modules/`uname
    -r`/build --with-kernmoddir=/lib/modules/`uname -r`

3) make

make[1]: Entering directory
    `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.193-obj/i386/default'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory
    `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.193-obj/i386/default'
    make: *** [module] Error 2

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply in advance.

regards,

sybella.

Re:Error installing kernel patch suse 9.1 plz help

hello,
    from the kernel PET -> http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...lay&id=110
    A quick word about patching your kernel
    If you do need to, or simply want to patch your kernel then it is quite easy. Download the patch and move it to /usr/src/. If it is compressed uncompress (e.g. gunzip patchname.gz) it and the cd into the directory /usr/src/linux and type this:
    patch -p1 < ../patch_name.patch
    Here is an example, while in the directory /usr/src/linux and the patch preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.19-2.patch is in /usr/src/ I type
    patch -p1 < ../preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.19-2.patch and the preemptive patch is applied. Walla!
    after the patch is applied run make modules in the directory /usr/src/linux - or maybe /usr/src/linux-2.6

oh yea - BTW - welcome to linux junior

Also, there seem to be some gnokii rpm's for Suse on Google.
    You might want to try that instead, and not go through the effort of recompiling.

Hi pbharris,

Thanks 4 getting back 2me and welcoming me!

I was following explicit instructions from gnokii who supplied the patch. Should i do what you suggested and ignore their instructions? I'm new 2 all this i don't want to screw-up ma system? Or should i post their makefile 2see if it will work with your instructions? Please help. :'(

Thanks again 4 your suggestions.

regards,

sybella

Hi trickster,

Thanx alot for the suggestion.

What's the link to the gnokii rpms you mentioned?

regards,

sybella.

Thanx Trickster,

I'm going to have a look and see if the gnokii rpms include the 'DKU2 Linux kernel module'.
    The mobile(nokia 6680) I want to use with gnokii uses dku2 cable to connect over the USB port and hence the need for the patch so that it can be identified by gnokii.

I have also looked at using pbharris's suggestion but the patch is not a file but a folder with the following files:config.status, configure, configure.in, makefile, makefile.in nokia_dku2.c, config.log and folder autom4te.cache (output.0, requests, traces.o).

which i think idicates that it has to be compiled or something?

regards,

sybella

Hi,

I will have to install 'DKU2 Linux kernel module' if i want to use dku2 cable even if i install the gnokii rpms.

regards,

sybella.

I'm guessing the compilation error you are getting has to do with needing the kernel sources. However, I am not 100% sure.
    Does the folder "/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.193-obj/i386/default" exists?
    Is there anything inside it?