Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI sucks

Good Guru

ATI sucks

I got a new laptop and, of course, the only affordable ones were with that ATI crap.

I now know the pain that is called owning an ATI. The video drivers suck. I do mean suck. Having no sound is crummy, but a slow ass cruddy desktop is worse. Needless to say the wireless doesnt work either. BUt the mouse does! Yippee ...

Are all laptop users that wish to use linux going thru this much crap just to claim "I got Linux on my laptop?". I put XP back on.

Re:ATI sucks

I got linux on my laptop
    Only problem is the wireless. works out of the box, but not with WPA support. Gotta do black magic for it to work.

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=12;threadid=10594;start=0#msg95239 date=1122227404]
    I got linux on my laptop
    Only problem is the wireless. works out of the box, but not with WPA support. Gotta do black magic for it to work.
    [/quote]

hehe, yay.

Allright, I can do without wireless. I can buy a new PCMCIA card. But video, and audio are not kosher. How am I supposed to replace those too?

What kind of laptop/hardware is it?

the ATI card in my IBM works great... so does sound. Is this a Dell?

Depends on the laptop. My compaq presario works flawless except for suspend/hibernate. Ubu has a < 30 second boot time, so that doesn't really bother me.

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=12;threadid=10594;start=0#msg95246 date=1122236971]
    What kind of laptop/hardware is it?
    [/quote]

Duh. That should have been stated.

[me=Schotty]is also known as Capt. Dumbass[/me]

Toshiba satellite M45-S165.

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    ?

I have an averatec and it works GREAT wireless and I didn't install the ATi deivers for it but it worked fine running ubuntu

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=12;threadid=10594;start=0#msg95253 date=1122244595]
    Can you post the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    ?
    [/quote]

I wiped it for XP so I could do what I hoped to use it for, some games, DVD, audio, and programming. What I just realized though, is since I do have an 80GB drive, I really should have partitioned it differently so I can dual boot.

Ideally, I would love to have either Fedora or CentOS on it. Linspire is nice, but I want to have another for cross platform dev work. I want to build on the native platform, not on another or be forced to use VMWare (which had a recent price drop to $179.99) Although any Linux is better than ... gulp ... Windows XP.

What I can try is this -- I can boot off the DVD of the installer and see what exactly it picked up. I can dump it to my thumbdrive so I can give the full report. But from what I do remember :

video -- refused to use the Radeon "fglrx" or "ati" drivers. Only worked in "vesa"

audio -- "atiixp" was the one that loaded, but didnt do anything (as far as output). Couldn't hear out of the speakers or headphone jacks. All of the levels were up, and none muted. I tried to lower and mute, then raise and unmute to no avail.

Apparently, the one thing that does impress me -- battery life is better on Fedora without APM even enabled with respect to XP.

I don't know offhand if the wireless had ANY detection besides the PCI card being seen, but as far as driver -- don't know. I don't have a WAP or another machine at this point to try it out on. In the next month, when I move to a new apartment, I plan to fully migrate to wireless for everything. I want bluetooth or wireless for all that I can. Less tangle period. I can do mouse, keyboard, lan. That leaves AC, VGA, and printer. Well, the Zaurus too, until I buy the wireless adapter for it.