Thread: Problem with xorg

Problem with xorg

G'Day there , My first time here, great Forum.
    My problem is I am using a debian based distro in Kanotix(excellent), & I upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg & everything was great for a while.
    But then I saw a nother package I thought was related to Xorg ,but I cant remember exactly what it was called ? then when it was time 4 synaptic to install it after downloading, it asked which one I wanted as my default server "Xorg" the one I was using, or the new "xorg!!!" that I thought was just a addon for the xorg I was already using. and I chose the new package. now I cant get my X to start.
    AnyWay I was hoping if someone new if there was away I could change back to the original "Xorg" ? maybe by editing a file, but i'm not sure which file it is. Also is there away I could find out what the name of this Xorg pkg was so that maybe I can uninstall it & reinstall the original Xorg if that would work that is?
    apparently there is a command I can type that might give me the packages installed that start with or have " Xorg" in it?
    Sorry for a tough first up question.

Re:Problem with xorg

Can you post the error message you are getting?

Okey , thanks 4 reply, I did some searching on debian web site & found the package I should not of added was "xserver-xorg-dbg" which is actually another full on version of xorg .
    So anyway I removed this package along with "xserver-xorg" which is the original pkg then reinstalled "xserver-xorg" again;
    AnyWay I now have X trying to start with the Nvidia logo Flashing up for about 2 seconds which is normal only to go back to Console instead of KDM.
    so I am getting closer to getting system back.
    AnyWay the error I have that its trying to start "KDM" then says "not starting X display manager (xdm): it is not the default display manager.
    I have also typed "kdm" in console but it doesnt do anything & "startx" only refers to the error message.

you might need to use dpkg-reconfigure to ensure that the xserver-xorg package is correctly set up.

Would you know which file it is that I can modify to get "kdm" to start by default instead of "xdm"
    I also tried dpkg-reconfigure but same problem, I think I need to get KDM to start maybe?

Can you post the text on the last few lines of the log file /var/log/Xorg.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Thanks trickster for wanting to help but I'm a "wimp", I decided to reinstall & start again I only had mainly software I installed etc nothing 2 important . I know making mistakes is the best way to learn linux but I hope I get it right next time. thanks Again

to start kdm I think you need to dpkg-reconfigure kdm, it's been a while since I mess with the guts of a debian system.. every debian user is on ubuntu these days anyways.

[quote author=marred1 link=board=6;threadid=10662;start=0#msg95746 date=1125633775]
    I am using a debian based distro in Kanotix(excellent), & I upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg & everything was great for a while.
    [/quote]
    I am not sure if this is off-topic or thread highjacking... but why change from XFree86 to Xorg (just a newbie wondering)?

[quote author=woosting link=board=6;threadid=10662;start=0#msg96192 date=1127468815]
    [quote author=marred1 link=board=6;threadid=10662;start=0#msg95746 date=1125633775]
    I am using a debian based distro in Kanotix(excellent), & I upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg & everything was great for a while.
    [/quote]
    I am not sure if this is off-topic or thread highjacking... but why change from XFree86 to Xorg (just a newbie wondering)?
    [/quote]

Xorg is actually branched off from XFree86 due to licensing issues, however it has grown into a very actively developed platform whereas XFree86 was very slow paced and rarely did good on promises of features.