Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Fedora Core 4 = Awesome
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora Core 4 = Awesome

Fedora Core 4 = Awesome

Hey all,
    I've been out a couple of months [was on vacation] but as soon as i returned, I saw that FC4 released. I've been running Gentoo for the past year or so..and because i won't be having time to maintain my box as much as i would like, I decided to go with FC4 as it reduces some efforts on my part.. and it is great. I just installed it. It immediately got my resolution [unlike FC3] and fixed up everything for me. I'm quite happy with it. The new clearlooks integration also looks great.
    Also most importantly, yum is significantly faster.

Re:Fedora Core 4 = Awesome

I put FC4 on my laptop earlier this week and did some mucking around. I am impressed with some stuff, like my 1920x1200 resolution wthout hacking xorg.conf as always, gnome detects my camera now with no problem. But I don't like that ACPI is not compiled in the kernel for the normal power saving features. I can probably make it work, but I too went to FC4 so I would'nt have to do the normal hoop jumping. I'll probably find more things that are good and bad, but over all it seems nice. Not bad for free. And it gives me the Redhat warm and fuzzies. (I still love Debian though).

Might I add, FC5 == Awesome++

I run the rawhide branch and I'm telling you all, it's awesome++.

I think im going to DL fedora 4 to try it out.

Even though my heart belongs to debian ;x

Good Guru

Just to add to this, people rip me for worshipping my Fedora Prince (who sits just down from God and Jesus). Red Hat has their shit together.

Note to Novell -- Take note here guys. I would pay $299, just as I would to MS if you just made shit work right. I dont want a Borked YaST. See how well the redhat-config-XXX suite works? MAKE IT LIKE THAT!! See how well you can have GNOME without SCREWING IT UP WORSE THAN WINDOWS!

Yes Fedora 4 rocks more than Iron Maiden + Yngwie Malmsteen + Dio all at once. (Although I would still pay to hear that ;D )

Kind Mastermind

I'm giving serious consideration to installing FC4 on my iBook. I got mad at ubuntu because it wouldn't let me install mp3 ripping capability (I tried every single suggestion on how to do it, including compiling and it still wouldn't work). At any rate, it's been a long time since I've messed with an rpm-based distro, so hooking up again might not be a bad thing. Tell me, why are there 5 iso's? Sounds like a lot. Can I get by with downloading just the first cd or should I take the time to download and burn all five?

Cheers

Good Guru

They have a ton more that is included. I use the DVD image for simplicity. Gimme a hollar if you want a DVD burnt (lack of andwidth or a DVDRW writer).

Also, check out their site fedora.redhat.com and see their new policy. They are stripping out of the isos alot of redundant tools and just leaving those who want them to grab them off of yum. Take for example OO.o : this makes Gnumeric and Abiword fall into this category.

Nice thing, more room for new tools.
    Bad thing, they dont necessarily choose the tool of our choice.

I like the choice, since it almost standardizes on one tool instead of having 20.

And yes, FC4 ROCKS!!

Anyone know how it compares to Ubuntu Breezy? Roughly the same time frame.

I see it still having a problem with the 3Com 3C59X driver.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=165210

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=10649;start=0#msg95921 date=1126589010]
    Anyone know how it compares to Ubuntu Breezy? Roughly the same time frame.
    [/quote]

If by roughly the same you mean Breezy will be out in mid October and FC5 will be out in mid Febuary, FC4 being a mid June release.

FC4 has a lot of the stuff that's planned for Breezy, having tried both I'm convinced that things work better in FC4 except my palm doesn't sync because some fool imported a development version of gnome-pilot.. thus he should have his groin molested with heavy duty farming equipment. (note some equally moronic Ubuntu fool just did the same to Breezy.. I guess everyone asspwns palm and bluetooth users)

One thing Breezy does have out of the box that FC4 lacks is Mono and thus Beagle - which is something you just miss so terribly when it's not there. It's a legal matter though according to RedHat's lawyers it's not safe to include it right now.