Thread: Linux/Win XP Dual boot

Linux/Win XP Dual boot

I am attempting to set up a Linux partition on my computer. Windows XP is already installed, and my wife won't let me take windows off. I am using partition magic 8.0 to try to convert the NTFS file system to something Linux can read, but I keep getting an error message.

Error: 1527 Bad sequence update number.

Can anyone help me partition this drive?? I assume it's because it's an NTFS partition...email at irishsquid@specialoperations.com or golfzerodelta@breakthru.com

Good Guru

Re:Linux/Win XP Dual boot

[quote author=irishsquid link=board=1;threadid=10644;start=0#msg95595 date=1124575028]
    Error: 1527 Bad sequence update number.
    [/quote]
    Well, according to this MS article, PM 8.0 should support XP's NTFS so you should be good.

Can anyone help me partition this drive?? I assume it's because it's an NTFS partition...
    You need to first defrag your drive completely - this is general partition resizing tip.
    Then run PM again and see if it will resize it. You can choose any file system for your new partition and don't have to choose ext2 or 3. I'd choose to use FAT to be sure. Then when you install Linux, you can choose to format with file system that Linux supports.

HTH ...

email at irishsquid@specialoperations.com or golfzerodelta@breakthru.com

Hi,

I am not sure what are you trying to do.

Are you trying to resize your NTFS partition in order to make space for a new linux partition, or are you trying to convert your NTFS filesystem to something where you can run both Windows and Linux on the same partition?

I'm adding a small partition to install Linux on (I'm installing Phlak, which can read a FAT32 partition. Apparantly, it can even read an NTFS partition, just not write to it.) I want to convert the main NTFS partition over to FAT32, so I can access it from phlak.

Any linux distribution can read and write to Fat32 and rad-only ntfs. However, very few actually allow you to install on Fat32. I guess Phlack might be one of them.

I'd follow compunut's advise and try again after defragmenting.

Good Guru

First, XP runs natively on NTFS and won't install on FAT32. So you are out of luck there. What I usually do in those instances is install OS on one partition and have all those data files on one partition. So if you have enough space on the HDD, have 3 partitions now. Then install XP on one partition, have data on FAT32, then Linux on the other.

For your specific problem, try defrag first, then try again.

Good Guru

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=1;threadid=10644;start=0#msg95611 date=1124586118]
    First, XP runs natively on NTFS and won't install on FAT32. So you are out of luck there. What I usually do in those instances is install OS on one partition and have all those data files on one partition. So if you have enough space on the HDD, have 3 partitions now. Then install XP on one partition, have data on FAT32, then Linux on the other.

For your specific problem, try defrag first, then try again.
    [/quote]

It will install on Fat32. It just wont format fat32 partitions greater than 32GB. If you setup the partition first, it will install onto it. There is a tool out there to format fat32 partitons as we could under 98 and such.

Good Guru

Ah, thanks for the tip. I was under impression that it only support NTFS v2 only.

Good Guru

Well what I didn;t know until recently (bought a USB enclosure for one of my IDE hard disks), was the formatting over 32GB part. I have an 80GB drive that took me an hour to figure out -- while in Windows. In the end this website had the tool necessary to get my drive up and running on both UNIX and Windows. I really, now that its all and done and I can think rationally about it ;D, should have just formatted it under Linspire and saved 57 minutes of my life. But oh well....