Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mandrake 10.1 on my ecs "ibuddie" ?

mandrake 10.1 on my ecs "ibuddie" ?

i have an old ecs "ibuddie" laptop, its run at +- 600mhz, 128mb ram,
    10 gb 3,5 inch hd. i currently run win89 on a 5 gb partition.

is it doable to run mandrake 10.1 with kde on this old laptop? the only thing i use it for is internet browsing since my desktop machine doesnt have an internet connection

how much hd space do i minimally need to get mandrake installed?

Good Guru

Re:mandrake 10.1 on my ecs "ibuddie" ?

Well, I have P III 600 MHz, 128 RAM and 6 GB of space. It runs Ubuntu 5.04 currently and I tested SuSE 9.2 with KDE.

It's a little slower with full blown KDE and Gnome but it's still usable. I'd stick to minimalist GUI such as IceWM and stuff since they will take less resources.

If you want a little faster experience, stay away from KDE bloat since KDE will load a whole bunch of stuff at start up. If you don't mind waiting for a few minutes of system response time, then it's okay I guess.

It's still usable but just that it's a little sloowwwwww.

thanks for the help, i just finished downloading the iso's from linuxiso and i'm going to try it out as soon as i get to my laptop.
    btw, i also tried ubuntu (downloaded last week, i don't know which version), but it doesnt work on my laptop, i put in the disc, rebooted, i got to the boot part of the installer, i press enter, it starts loading but at the moment a graphic part is supposed to show the screen just goes all white and nothing happens anymore.

I think you're right about the gui btw, i'm going for something lightweight on this laptop and keep kde for the desktop.

Good Guru

Find out what graphic chip your notebook uses. Some chips are not supported (and no works in being done due to older hardware with little interests). But still, at least, it should do with generic VGA server.

Also, have you tried FC4 (Fedora Core 4.0)? There is not much Mandrake around (although it's still alive and kicking) to get many help but Fedora has much more support on the web.

i have never used anything but mandrake since it was always advised to me as the linux for newbies(easy install and set up, much software on the install discs, software installation manager, ...) and i always stuck to it ( i started with version 8 )
    is fedora a bit similar to install and set up?

Good Guru

I take it that you already know Mandrake is built on top of Red Hat and that Fedora is community based version of RH desktop.

I've only used Mandrake very briefly so I can't compare. My choice of desktop is currently Ubuntu.

Well i ran through the installation process, no problem, but when i boot it up, i get a white screen at graphical login. i can log in at tty1 or tty2 no problem, but the graphical login doesnt show up.

i tried going trough the installation process again a few times and try out different monitor settings(flat panel, 800*600, 256 colors), and on 1 or two settings it actually works when i test (vertical colored lines) and my graphic chipset is correctly recognized as sis 620.
    also, if i log in on tty1 or tty2, and then switch to graphic login, it shows a blue "mandrake" background instead of the white screen, but nothing happens anymore.

Good Guru

If you post your XF86Config or XF86Config-4, may be, we can help. Or start a new threat about your X problem.

i have no idea how i can find that config or even what it is

That file is the configuration file for your X Windows system. You can find it at /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config