Thread: Reset Network settings?

Thumbs up

Well, recently I switched from a friend's wireless router to my older hub. When I switched, the other PC was unable to go online anymore. I conencted the DSL modem directly to it, and still no luck.

I had installed windows XP on that PC while I had the router installed, so it may have something to do with that. I believe the solution would be to just reset the network settings to Windows default, but how would I go about doing this without reinstalling windows again?

I tried repairing the network connection, but theres always an error saying "Failed to Renew IP address." I also ran the network conenction wizard thing as well as disconnecting the power from my modem and hub, and still no good.

Any ideas?

Mentor
    System not getting an IP may very well be the problem. Try the following for starts;

go to command prompt > type "ipconfig /release" without quotes.

This will release the IP information in the system and will disable the network card all together. Restart the computer while in this state. After restart see if the network connection refreshes the IP address. If the connection is not there, simply go to the Network settings and enable that connection.

If that fails, make sure you don't have static IPs mentioned in the settings.

I tried renewing, didn't work, but what's this about static IP? In what settings would it be mentioned?

Mentor
    Here are the directions to check the IP address.

Control Panel > Network Connections > [Right Click] Local Area Connection > Click Properties > [Double Click] Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Check "Obtain an IP address automatically" and then "Obtain DNS server automatically".

Click OK > Close all windows, restart computer.

Shut down the computer, reboot the DSL router and then do the above suggestions.

Also, is it a DSL modem or does it have it's own router built in? I had DSL from Bellsouth and it had a built in router. Maybe want to log into it and check it's settings.

If you are not getting an IP address, set a static address to 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 and see if you can "see" the DSL router.

RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

Mentor
    Right, but first I'd like to see if he can get a dynamic IP from the DHCP server, if that fails then setup a static IP as Rick mentioned.

I set it to obtain IP and DNS server automatically. Restarted, still won't work.

I also tried rebooting the DSL modem and hub.

But the DSL modem is jsut a modem, no built in hub.

Also tried setting up static IP, no luck.

Mentor
    Next thing I'd suggest is to uninstall the network card drivers and install them again and make sure you get the drivers from the manufacturer's site and nowhere else. Also hope it's not one of those fancy USB NICs.