Thread: CentOS users

CentOS users

Anyone useing CentOS as a desktop/workstation? I am kind of thinking about moving in that direction as I am now working from home and really need a stable enterprise-class work station that will not explode the next time I run an update.

Re:CentOS users

I'm not using CentOS, but how often do you need to update? What are your needs as far as software is concerned? If you tell us what packages you'll need, then we'll probably be able to steer you toward a good choice.

You might do well to put on an old copy of Fedora Core 1/2 or Ubuntu Warty. I've been running Ubuntu Warty on my server for the better part of a year now, and whenever I run an apt-get upgrade it's a big thing to see anything that needs doing. Updates are few and far between, and it's been nothing but stable for me. The only updates that get sent my way are security updates which is usually exactly the same software sans one vulnerability, and I want those anyway.

You might do well to put on Debian Stable as well. When Debian says stable, it means _stable_.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=10626;start=0#msg95481 date=1123954470]
    I'm not using CentOS, but how often do you need to update? What are your needs as far as software is concerned? If you tell us what packages you'll need, then we'll probably be able to steer you toward a good choice.

You might do well to put on an old copy of Fedora Core 1/2 or Ubuntu Warty. I've been running Ubuntu Warty on my server for the better part of a year now, and whenever I run an apt-get upgrade it's a big thing to see anything that needs doing. Updates are few and far between, and it's been nothing but stable for me. The only updates that get sent my way are security updates which is usually exactly the same software sans one vulnerability, and I want those anyway.

You might do well to put on Debian Stable as well. When Debian says stable, it means _stable_.
    [/quote]

Well, I have only had one problem with Hoary update, and it was fixed within a week. I'm just curious as to whether there is some kind of tangible advantage to an enterprise class distro. I really don't know much about it.

Good Guru

I use it. Its nice -- its Red Hat Enterprise. Has its perks above Fedora, but its drawbacks too. Dont run this if you NEED bleeding edge. Alot of multimedia isnt really there; you are going to have to roll your own RPMS for that. But aside from that, I love it.

Been running it since Sunday. I like it a lot! Fast, stable, good-looking.