Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dual booting with GRUB
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual booting with GRUB

Hybrid View

Associate

Dual booting with GRUB

Well, Chumley's back with more questions.
    I have Fedora Core 2 set up to dual boot with Windows XP. At least that is how it is SUPPOSED to work. I read the docs, but they don't make any sense to me so I am beseaching you guys for the answers. I want dual boot as above and the two OS are on different HDs hda and hdb. Here is what I have now and it doesn't boot into XP at all:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd1,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb2
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
    title Windows XP
    makeactive
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

How do I get it to boot into XP? As an aside, is it possible to have an auto login into Fedora Core??????
    Thank you guys for your help. I know you have the answers and my questions seem pretty lame, but I'm learning. I hope.
    \"When you go into court you are putting you fate into the hands
    of twelve people who weren\'t smart enough to get out of jury duty.\"
    Norm Crosby 8)

Advisor
    i don't know if it will help, but try putting the 'makeactive' after the rootnoverify line

Associate

Re: Dual booting with GRUB

changed order of makeactive, but it didn't help. Not to worry, cuz I seem to have screwed the pooch again. I have GRUB set up to dual boot whe Fedora Core 2 and XP. Well, I wanted to access XP so I rebooted and selected XP, but it didn't boot. Tried a XP rescue disk I found and it didn't boot, so I rebooted and tried to go into FC2 and it wouldn't go so I tried my FC2 rescue disk and it wouldn't go, so I upgraded FC2 with the CD and it still won't go, so now I can't access either FC2 or XP. I am using my other machine which has FC2 on it (with Java installed, tho I don't really know how I did it, I will have to check it out). Anyway, I think I will just install FC THREE, but I am worried about GRUB and how to get it to work. Maybe it will just work, but since I have the /mbr messed up maybe I should just fdisk the mbr and clean it out before I install FC3.
    Any thoughts??????
    Norm Crosby 8)

I would redo the mbr with a windows rescue disk.

If I remember correctly, you have to install grub, then reinstall the winders loader or something like that.

I know it can be done, but I'm more familiar with LILO than grub.

Sorry.

Associate

I had a similair problem with SuSE and XP Pro long ago. First, XP may be limited by cylinder 1024 (or whatever..been so long now) . Reinstall XP on the master drive and install Linux on the slave. Install XP first. Use XP's fdisk util to partition off and reformat the drive as needed...leave the drive you intend to install Linux on alone......just leave as free space. You can set up those partitions during the install of Linux. When you install Linux, select GRUB as your boot loader. It should find all the bootable partitions and add them to the menu.

I know it is alot of work. But after three or four days of trying to configure GRUB correctly and countless MBR restores. This four hours of work (3.5 alone for Windows) This was the only way that worked for me.

I would also advise setting up a seperate partition for your /home directory..that way you will not need to lose it if the need to reinstall Linux later on arises. At least you will have all of your files.

Let us know how it goes. 8)

Derrick

core 2 + xp that is a major pain in the ass try core 3 and it should work real easy alot of people experienced dual boot issues between xp and core 2 unless of course you didnt use disk druid

the issue with core 2 is it messess with the drive geometry on the partition table something the kernel they used, now there were two ways to remedy this format your partitions outside of core 2 not using diskdruid, or mess around with the grub

simply put youll save yourself alot of hassle switching to core3 but first do as mcangeli said restore windows original state and then install core3

Associate

Damn..sorry chumster...I shoulda read yoru entire post and tthe responses before I answered...disregard my last post. I have no experience with FC anything....trust the other guys...hehehe

Derrick

Associate

Ok, I found out I don't have a usable XP rescue disk. How do I redo the mbr for XP if I can't get into it? Can I do a fdisk mbr or will that mess up the grub bootloader which is supposed to be in the mbr.????

I have installed Fedora Core 3 and I still can't get XP to boot or even show up on the initial boot screen, Only Fedora Core 3 appears on the opening menu and is the only choice. Here is what I currently have in my grub.conf:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd1,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    title Windows XP
    unhide (hd0,0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    boot

Windows XP is on the first hd, which is hda or hd0 and Fedora Core 3 is on hdb or hd1.
    I went to the GRUB website, but there is absolutely NOTHING there of any use.
    Norm Crosby 8)

Ahh what program or programs keeps a windows partition on your hard drive?
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Mentor
    chumley, Get a Knoppix 3.7 live CD. You can rescue from there.

Then install Knoppix and you will have your 2boot system.