Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

another sound question with FC3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another sound question with FC3

another sound question with FC3

when login window shows it plays the sound, when I go to System Settings > Sound Detection in gnome it shows snd-ali5451 module
    but when I put the CD in it shows the player but no sound whatsoever.

info:
    kernel version is kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3

[root@fc3elo ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias eth0 8139cp
    alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
    options snd-card-0 index=0
    install snd-ali5451 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ali5451 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    remove snd-ali5451 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ali5451
    alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
    alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
    alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

[root@fc3elo downloads]# modprobe -l | grep ali
    /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/sound/pci/ali5451/snd-ali5451.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-ali1535.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-ali1563.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-ali15x3.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/char/watchdog/alim1535_wdt.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/char/watchdog/alim7101_wdt.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/net/irda/ali-ircc.ko

[root@fc3elo downloads]# lsmod | grep snd
    snd_ali5451 25989 2
    snd_ac97_codec 67489 1 snd_ali5451
    snd_pcm_oss 47989 0
    snd_mixer_oss 17089 2 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 93001 3 snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_timer 29125 1 snd_pcm
    snd 52645 8 snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_o ss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    soundcore 10017 2 snd
    snd_page_alloc 9541 1 snd_pcm

any ideas please?

Re:another sound question with FC3

Is your CD player hooked up to your sound card? If you open up your case you should see a little wire going from your CDROM to your sound card. If not, then the two are completely separate entities and sound isn't being forwarded to your sound card.

What are you using to play CDs?

CD PLayer For Gnome 2.8.0
    No sound in headphones as well
    it's Compaq laptop - I think it is Evo1200 ...

As to the cable connection....it was ok under windows 7 months ago...

Go to Applications-->Sound-->Volume Control. On the Volume Control application, go to Edit-->Preferences, and make sure CD is checked. Click on, then go to the Input tab and make sure that CD is not muted and raise the volume. (AFAIK, it is muted by default.)

If I may make a suggestion, if Gnome CD Player doesn't work you might give goobox a shot. Think GCD but MUCH prettier. It can rip CDs as well, if you'd like.

http://www.gnome.org/~paobac/goobox/
    http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=531

I THINK it uses gstreamer to play CDs whereas I'm certain GCD doesn't...so maybe you'll have more luck if you switch backends by giving goobox a go.

I can definitely tell you that GCD very seldom works for me. I wish Gnome would get rid of it.

Oh also try the following: If you have XMMS installed, open it up, Go Options->Preferences, and "Configure" the CD Audio Player Input Plugin. Under Device->Play Mode, try both "Analog" and "Digital Audio Extraction". See if either of those work. There are ways to get around the absence of a connection between the cd and the sound card, one of which is to rip audio from the CD into a buffer and play the buffer...XMMS does this in one of these two modes, and it could very well be how Windows does it too.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=1;threadid=10574;start=0#msg95045 date=1121023982]
    Oh also try the following: If you have XMMS installed, open it up, Go Options->Preferences, and "Configure" the CD Audio Player Input Plugin. Under Device->Play Mode, try both "Analog" and "Digital Audio Extraction". See if either of those work. There are ways to get around the absence of a connection between the cd and the sound card, one of which is to rip audio from the CD into a buffer and play the buffer...XMMS does this in one of these two modes, and it could very well be how Windows does it too.
    [/quote]

xmms (after adjusting the settings) behaves like this....I go to play file, open /media/cdrom (path has been adjusted in xmms config) then click on the <song>.cda file and nothing happens....xmms disappears....

jeez - I don't wanna by stereo system only because fc3 cannot play files :-(

goobox gave some ./configure errors

Hmmm...xmms did that to me when I had problems with the permissions on my cd device. Try running xmms as root and see if you can play cds.

As for goobox...yum install goobox is a no-go? Shame, because it's probably the most beautiful cd player on the linux desktop these days.

I'm not familiar with installing apps over yum...
    should I just issue yum install goobox ?
    if this is the case then here is the output - it didn't work
    [root@fc3elo ~]# yum install goobox
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up Repos
    base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
    updates-released 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
    Reading repository metadata in from local files
    primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 797 kB 00:02
    MD Read : ################################################## 2623/2623
    base : ################################################## 2622/2622
    primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 352 kB 00:01
    http://fedora.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pu...rimary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    Trying other mirror.
    primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 352 kB 00:18
    http://ftp.kddilabs.jp/Linux/package...rimary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
    Trying other mirror.
    primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 354 kB 00:04
    MD Read : ################################################## 906/906
    updates-re: ################################################## 906/906
    Parsing package install arguments
    No Match for argument: goobox
    Nothing to do

Will upgrading to FC4 do any good?