Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What apps do I have, and how do I get to them?

Thread: What apps do I have, and how do I get to them?

What apps do I have, and how do I get to them?

Fedora Core 3.

I'm using the gnome desktop, which provides me with handy links to only some of my applications on the drop down menu.

I was willing to move to KDE if need be, and I tried to use the KDE app that searches for applications and adds them to the drop down menu, but it didn't run. Don't know why. Don't even remember where I found it. In the help, maybe.

I used the package manager to review the apps that I have but aren't showing up, and found a few names that I think I might can use as the "command line" to run the program. eg. units. But some of the apps (like those that come for KDE) are just identified in groups, like KDEgraphics. This does not run anything when typed as a run command.

I know that KDE apps work in gnome, but I have no idea how to find out what apps I have loaded, what their names are, what they do, and what to type as a run command.

I also haven't figured out how to alter the gnome apps menu. I do know how to set up a drawer with icons-shortcuts for programs, so it's not really a problem.

I know this sounds ridiculous, and there is probably a simple explanation. But I can't find it. Would one of you mind taking a minute to explain this to me?

Thanks!

Re:What apps do I have, and how do I get to them?

[quote author=DamselNDistress link=board=2;threadid=10570;start=0#msg94997 date=1120866802]
    I also haven't figured out how to alter the gnome apps menu. I do know how to set up a drawer with icons-shortcuts for programs, so it's not really a problem.
    [/quote]

Menu editing via Gnome is currently done as a third party tool. Fedora might have their own editor, but most people use SMEG - Simple Menu Editor for Gnome. http://www.realistanew.com/projects/smeg/ . For Fedora, it's probably available in one of the repositories.

As for determining what programs are installed, I'm afraid that's a limitation of what KDE does grouping its packages. If it's a KDE app and it's used for music/video, it's probably going to be found in kdemultimedia. You kind of have to guess and check. This is a problem that a lot of people are trying to solve in an intelligent way.

I can tell you that most apps are found under /usr/bin, and most kde apps start with a "K".

Re:What apps do I have, and how do I get to them?

Thanks. This helps. At least I have a starting point!