Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

OS Distrubution

Thread: OS Distrubution

Associate

OS Distrubution

Hello,

I am just wondering how to find the OS distrubtion (like redhat, mandrake, suse .....) from SSH, imagine that I don't have GUI. is there any command for finding it ? that is i need to find the full information about the OS.

and also how do i find out how may bits my OS is using ? whether it is a 32 bit or 64 bit ? how to find out ?

uname -a provides only this info : Linux hostname 2.4.20-8 #1 date i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux and also is there a way to find using nmap ?

any ideas and suggestions ?

Re:

Dear markwaugh,
    Salam,

I think its Depend upon your Processor Chip and I am pretty sure that every linux distro take 32 bits.

Best Regards.
    Frrkh hmd

About 99% of your distros are 32bit OS's.Only a handfull of them have 64 bit support. Most distro's that support 64 bit have a seprate download for 64. The reason is that you can not run a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit machine. You can however run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine. As far as telling what distro you are running. When you install packages do you use RPM files? If so that could narrow it down some.

On to nmap, I have never used it. Try typing
    Code:
    man nmap
    it should provide you with some instruction on how to use.

I hope this helps.