Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not XMMS?

Why not XMMS?

Ok guys. I have always liked XMMS. Rhythmbox is nice for searching through music or playing albulms/artists. XMMS you can add i directory have a playlist and all that. So I see the pros and cons of each app. But It seems that everyone is ditching XMMS mainly for Rhythmbox. I do like some of the features that Rhythmbox has the XMMS misses. And the other way around. I don't know maybe my question is silly.

Anyways I looks like something better than both is comming out. Muine or Sonniance. Because they seem to have the best of XMMS and Rhythmbox.

So I want to know. Why have you ditched XMMS? Just curious.

TIA

Re:Why not XMMS?

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=2;threadid=10545;start=0#msg94820 date=1119815302]

So I want to know. Why have you ditched XMMS? Just curious.

TIA
    [/quote]

ditch xmms??? no thanks. rhythem box is okay - but xmms is what i like.

It's a few things for me.

Biggest issue is the skinning issue. I really like consistency on my desktop. I'll even sacrifice a bit of functionality if I can avoid an ugly application and use a good looking one. I use Evolution instead of Thunderbird because Evolution is GTK, even though I like a lot of Thunderbird's features. It's the reason I started using Epiphany over Firefox (though I have since come to love Epiphany), and it's the reason I use Abiword when possible over OpenOffice.org. I really like a unified Desktop, and XMMS and BMP just stick out. They look unnatural. MPlayer bugs me too, as does Xine (though Totem is beautiful).

I also dislike the fact that it has its own plugins written just for that particular player to play music. I like the GStreamer philosophy: everyone use the same plugins...that way they get maximum exposure and with time the system becomes more and more robust.

Finally, I don't like how it presents its playlist. Just a raw dump of song information. I like things to be organized by Artist or by Album...ie, show me album names instead of actual songs. Actual songs is too much for me to process; albums is just like perusing a CD collection.

Muine seems to suit my style perfectly. Maybe XMMS suits yours? If so, I say give Sonance a go. It looks like all the features of XMMS but with the UI done well.

Well I usually preffer XMMS. But like if I want all country songs. I hit country and it starts playing all my country songs.

Its interesting to see the linux desktop evolve. I think we have a lot of good things comming up. This next year will be really good for Linux. I think it will just take off. I am not If that means that everyone will be using it.

Cheers to Linus and all those that have helped make Linux kick ass. ;D

If only I had The great Mojo's simley set.

I always use XMMS, I like the feel of it.

I may try other players but I keep XMMS around for quick play!

Wow...am I the only one here who can't stand XMMS?

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=10545;start=0#msg94835 date=1119882708]
    Wow...am I the only one here who can't stand XMMS?
    [/quote]
    I don't use XMMs either. I wouldn't say I can't stand it but it definitely wouldn't be one of my top choices when it comes to an mp3 player.
    I just think there are so many better alternatives out there.

i use amarok because i can do more with it, more efficiently....bmp is just xmms on steroids to me, and i use that occasionally when i dont want to burn the cycles on the laptop.

Good Guru

[quote author=eslackey link=board=2;threadid=10545;start=0#msg94836 date=1119890655]
    I don't use XMMs either. I wouldn't say I can't stand it but it definitely wouldn't be one of my top choices when it comes to an mp3 player.
    I just think there are so many better alternatives out there.
    [/quote]

I fit your bill pretty well for the moment. I use Rhythmbox or LSongs.