Thread: Sorting through the Linux lie: What it really can do

Mentor

Sorting through the Linux lie: What it really can do

Re:Sorting through the Linux lie: What it really can do

Three years ago, I would have agreed 100% with this guy.

Today, Linux on the desktop beats the crap out of Windows (does all the same stuff but looks better and has more cool apps with cooler features), and it even has some apps that I like better than OSX apps (OSX apps traditionally being slick). Muine, for example, beats the hell out of the iTunes interface IMO.

Linux is just taking off on the Desktop. Until fairly recently, it's been playing catchup. For example, when Windows XP was released, Linux distros du jour had nothing on it. It's only recently that I found myself having no more apps wish-list. There was a good app to do literally everything that I wanted.

I'm very interested to see what happens in 2006. Apple's OSX 10.4 (10.5?) will be released right around the same time that Microsoft is releasing Longhorn. For the first time, Linux will be more or less on equal footing at the beginning of a Desktop release cycle, rather than lagging behind. What's more, Linux will be leading the pack, with the successors to Longhorn and OSX 10.6 being developed behind closed doors.

Well, what have you done to get GNOME 10x10 ?

Associate

The guy stresses points that even the 9x family had for the longest time. Microsoft Operating System Products have been out for how long? I mean before Xenix their own unix distro before they got a crafty idea of creating a flaky GUI interface to dos(which they originally didnt write in the first place) ITs been so long and all they can do is write flaky code and be bulked at for lack of security, stablitity and performence. You wont find a Super Computer Cluster Running Windows in a professional envoriment and you wonder why?

From 1991 to now Linux has gotten so much better where windows is still sluggish stressing a crappy set of concepts for computing with a lack of concern for issues of the new century, like SECURITY, interoperativity, and performence.

Im so sick of Microsoft its the nightmare for the computer world, I wish it would just vanish.

grr

[quote author=huntz link=board=13;threadid=10539;start=0#msg94919 date=1120202616]
    The guy stresses points that even the 9x family had for the longest time. Microsoft Operating System Products have been out for how long? I mean before Xenix their own unix distro before they got a crafty idea of creating a flaky GUI interface to dos(which they originally didnt write in the first place) ITs been so long and all they can do is write flaky code and be bulked at for lack of security, stablitity and performence. You wont find a Super Computer Cluster Running Windows in a professional envoriment and you wonder why?

From 1991 to now Linux has gotten so much better where windows is still sluggish stressing a crappy set of concepts for computing with a lack of concern for issues of the new century, like SECURITY, interoperativity, and performence.

Im so sick of Microsoft its the nightmare for the computer world, I wish it would just vanish.

grr
    [/quote]

Amen!

When I am forced to do something on XP at work (an event that is getting rarer all the time), I am utterly shocked at bad the UI really is compared to Gnome.

GNU/Linux systems are ready for end users.

speaking as someone who has actually read some of the Windows 2000 and Windows XP code, I will take the surprising step of defending Microsoft here, we shouldn't heckle them for writing bad code. Infact the only horrible code was leftovers from Windows 98 and older for compatability. They really did clean up their act, the new stuff is pretty decent.