Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading CPU on ASUS A7N266-VM

Upgrading CPU on ASUS A7N266-VM

Hello guys,

I am wanting to upgrade my proc. I build my box and got the cheapest, almost slowest proc my box could handle. I the plan was to upgrade later. I'm getting tired of my box being slow. I don't have much extra money but I guess it worth racking on another $100 on my credit card for a new proc.

I currently have a AMD Athlon 700MHZ :-\

But I know it can atleast handle up to "Athlon XP up to 1900+" . I know can even do more than that with out over clocking of course. If someone could help me with this I would be very thank full.

Here is the link to my mobo http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n266-vm/overview.htm.

TIA

Re:Upgrading CPU on ASUS A7N266-VM

I would get the $95 dollar one.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...oryCode=010413

and oh yea - upgrade that BIOS!!

But my Mobo is only 266fsb. Would upgrading bios change this?

After some work I found that the AMD Athlong 2600+ T-Bred 2+Ghz will work on it. I do have to update my bios. Wish me luck. Never have done it. And I got to have to install a floppy drive after all. I dont have a usb key. Although maybe I'll have an excuse to get one.

Good Guru

Are you sure you need to do this via floppy? I can do this with a windows tool that will auto update my bios for me (I still need to reboot, but ...)

Hmm. Maybe I should install asus cd I got with mobo.

Ok great I am updated to the newest bios. No floppy needed. Thanks Schotty. Hopefully the installation of the new proc will be easy. Installing the heatsink/fan was a bitch last time

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=3;threadid=10519;start=0#msg94695 date=1119367504]
    Ok great I am updated to the newest bios. No floppy needed. Thanks Schotty. Hopefully the installation of the new proc will be easy. Installing the heatsink/fan was a bitch last time
    [/quote]

They still suck to put in. My pal owns a A64, and he had me do it for him. He doesnt like the new pressures that the heat sinks have any more, its just that I do this crap more often. So guess who gets the job all the time ;D

Last time I put a pretty nice big scratch on my mobo. Good thing nothing was in the screwdrivers way. The problem with my mobo is that there are caps really close the the socket. *Hopefully* the fan is not so ridget. Its been on my current proc for 2+ years. Hopefully It'll be an easy upgrade. Will I have to reinstall windows? I to bad I can't just upload ringtones to my phone in linux.

You shouldn't have to change anything in the ways of software if you're upgrading your CPU.