Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving

Moving

Hey Guys,

I live in California. It looks like I might get that promotion. There's been lot of buzz. I have even been asked when is my last day from a manager. So, I think I might have it.

Ok so my question is this. I don't want to get messed with by my landlord. Once I give my 30 day notice can I extend that? Or can I say "Sorry I am not moving any longer"? Can I do this legally with out any problems? The sooner I get my notice the least I'll have to commute. I want to avoid as many 1 1/2+ hour commutes as possible.

TIA

BTW Incase you haven't heard. I am not getting married any longer.

Kind Mastermind

Re:Moving

Sorry to hear that the engagement is off. Hope your move is as stress free as possible.

Cheers

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=14;threadid=10480;start=0#msg94311 date=1117254891]
    It looks like I might get that promotion.[/quote]
    So you are going to be senior tech? Level two support stuff?

Once I give my 30 day notice can I extend that?
    Well, it depends on the landlord (or property manager). Some will let you extend it and some won't. But with the rent market down as it's I doubt they will ask you to leave sooner unless they have someone lined up for your unit.

The last time I moved, I extended my notice twice. The guy was cool with it eventhough there was someone waiting. I have downstair unit which is much more popular than upstair units or the units without balcony. And then your reason for it, you know. If the landlord understands you, then they will be cool with it.

I've read quiet a few of legal renter/landlord dispute books and renters rights books since I had a bad case with one landlord before. So in California, legally speaking, you do not have to move eventhough you gave notice of "intention to vacate the premise" vervally or otherwise. But the landlord can legally evict you with 30 days notice with a reason (and your notice can be used as the reason). So even if you do not move out, they might try to evict you if you do not move as you promised.

Now the social part. Why would someone do that? It is a known fact that looking for a new renter is not easy and especially hard to get a good renter. Plus, landlord have to spend money to upgrade a unit when new renter come. For example, the landlord can get away with a so-so working frig but he/she might not if the new renter request to have a new frig.

Or can I say "Sorry I am not moving any longer"? Can I do this legally with out any problems?
    Like I said above, it depends. But legally, he/she might convit.

The sooner I get my notice the least I'll have to commute. I want to avoid as many 1 1/2+ hour commutes as possible.
    Try to explain your situration. They might understand.

Hi Gabe,

Sorry to hear about your wedding. :'( Congratulations on your promotion, though. 8)
    I'd say go talk to the landlord straight. Tell him that you might or not be getting a promotion, and you'd like to give your 30 days warning; however, it might turn out you might not move at all. See what you can hammer out between you too.

Good luck!

Thanks guys!

My fiance and I broke up about 3 months ago. Looking back, I think this was the best thing to happen. I think we made our relationship last longer than it should have. I think if I would have gotten married it might have headed straight to a divorce.

But basically she said it was ok for me to go on the trip. Then after I paid for everything she said I she didn't think I cared for her. So made me choose between her or eating my money. Now I have a bunch of pictures of Europe. Which I plan to post on here as soon as I scale them down from 2-3 mb each.

I'm sure we can all find Gabe some new dates to recover with.. Oh and congrats on the new job mate

hi gmoreno - i would talk with the landlord - most will be flexible.

congrats on the new job

I am sure it will be good - please sell lots of mot phones!!

[me=pbharris]looks over shoulder [/me]
    women are strange sometimes...

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=14;threadid=10480;start=0#msg94325 date=1117299370]
    [me=pbharris]looks over shoulder [/me]
    women are strange sometimes...
    [/quote]
    [me=Compunuts]looks over shoulder ...[/me]

sometimes??

That's an understatment ... ;D

congrats on the promotion

i'm sure you can find a new girl at brides.ru ;D

Good Guru

[quote author=The Great Mojo Jojo link=board=14;threadid=10480;start=0#msg94328 date=1117301234]
    i'm sure you can find a new girl at brides.ru ;D
    [/quote]

Are we trying to kill him. A Russian mob chick ???

;D ;D ;D