Thread: MEPIS

Hybrid View

MEPIS

running the 3.3.1 Live CD now
    i might just hang on to this for awhile
    install it on a PC

has anyone used this OS before?

Re:MEPIS

[quote author=coltrane link=board=7;threadid=10479;start=0#msg94303 date=1117198057]
    running the 3.3.1 Live CD now
    i might just hang on to this for awhile
    install it on a PC

has anyone used this OS before?
    [/quote]
    I tried SimplyMepis a few months ago and liked it pretty much. I think it's a decent distro and would recommend it to newbies or experience users.

Coltrane, are you still using this? What do you think about it?

I would like to start using two distros very extensively, Ubuntu & Mepis. I believe pretty soon, more and more windows users I know will want to dump windows and go with linux, so I will start recommending these two for them.

Anybody else use/tried Mepis? Tell me your pros & cons about it.

Thnx.

Im somewhat of a distro-fiend, and its been awhile. I think I'll just use it as an emergency disk. Its pretty fast, but SuSe spoiled me with the newer version of KDE, so I went back to it.

Good Guru

[quote author=Saptech link=board=7;threadid=10479;start=0#msg96482 date=1128997052]
    I believe pretty soon, more and more windows users I know will want to dump windows and go with linux, so I will start recommending these two for them.
    [/quote]

I agree there. My reccomendation has been to try out Linspire. I am not in the mood for babysitting or adminning everyone's system. CNR does a great job for rather cheap. I got a pal that joined up and with that, was able to get Fedora up on his own and setup yum with little issues. THe guy is a PC illiterate prior to Linspire. He was able to learn the lingo and the systemn rather effortlessly. The one thing that he loved were the howto and faq videos that come with Linspire 5.

For what its worth, they have a seemingly neverending 2 week free trial of CNR for free. The legal way to do this is to get the free Live CD and then use CNR in there to try it.

The cheap way to get Linspire is to buy the Gold CNR, which comes with ISO downloads, and then just download the ISO.

Just another shameless plug ... I know

Schotty, I think Linspire is on the right track. And I still have it installed and do admit it does a pretty good of picking up all my hardware, nothing fancy, and setup everything very good.

And I will recommend it also, it will depend on who wants to use it I guess.

Thnx for the replies guys. I hope to hear more.

Kind Mastermind

I haven't used MEPIS (yet), but having experience with both Ubuntu and Lindows (Linspire). I can honestly say that most, if not all, of the barriers to a true Linux desktop have been conquered. I think that it will merely be a rather short matter of time before people figure that out (and once the FUD machine from M$ breaks down).

Cheers

I had used nothing but RedHat from about 4.5 through Fedora 1, and gave up on the Hat went to MEPIS - with brief stints at Suse 9.0 or so, left that one about the fastest of any. Tried Lindows now Linspire .. very OK, but no challenges there.

I've been using MEPIS for about 9 months... I started with some 2. version, and wandered up to ProMEPIS (which never made it out of beta), then 3.1.1. When 3.2 appeared I read so many good things about Ubuntu I left MEPIS for Hoary.

I found Hoary boring as it was totally free - no non-free stuff, and too hard to get slightly off center stuff on board.

I have finally settled, at least until something really exciting new may arrive, with SimplyMEPIS 3.4-1rc1 (KDE 3.4, Kernel 4.6-12, Ooooo2 - 'ya a tad behind the curve to some distos), but one fine solid, fast, clean distro.

My hat is off to Warren and the MEPIS crew for a great release!

It is sure worth a look.

Ken

When I was total newbie I first used slackware, but I don't recommend it for newbies. I very quickly turned to SuSE, which I liked pretty much. After that I did Fedora 4, no trouble there. When I messed up permissions I installed Ubuntu 3.10 release candidate. Kernel compilation went wrong. Now running Debian, also installed it for a newbie with a very old computer.

Still I think SUSE LINUX is the ruling newbie distro ;D