Thread: SuSE Co-founder Leaves Novell

SuSE Co-founder Leaves Novell

You had to know this day was coming:

http://news.com.com/Suse+co-founder+...l?tag=nefd.top

I think a few people (including me) predicted in this forum that Novell would ruin SuSE. I was never a SuSE fan but it got a lot worse after Novell took over.

Re:SuSE Co-founder Leaves Novell

I don't like the partly-free and partly-pay strategy of open source projects like SUSE... Just another reason I left it. It's free or pay for me.

Advisor

It's free or pay for me.
    isn't that partly free and partly paid for ??
    If you can settle with only these features, then it's free, else you have to pay for the extended version..

Not to tread on anyones toes, I've never been a big fan of SuSE, and since Novell took over I havn't even looked in that direction.
    But to claim that they totaly ruined it for SuSE is to take it to some extend, if you look at it, RedHat has been the same way, but noone has ever blamed them for beeing a bad influence, only difference is, that RedHat pulled this move a long time ago, which brought life to FC, where as Novell/SuSE is only now trying out the same scam, where the public is waiting for it.
    When RedHat did it, the community just did what it does to survive, fork another version and go on as if nothing happened.
    Now the media is in on it, and it's a big fucking deal.

Actually, I wasn't referring to OpenSuSE when I said that Novell ruined SuSE. I was talking about "commercial" SuSE. Last version of SuSE (not OpenSuSE) I tried was a lot buggier than what I remembered SuSE being like before Novell took them over.

I wouldn't say (and didn't say) that Novell "totally ruined" SuSE, but they sure went downhill when they were folded into the Novell camp.

[quote author=redhead link=board=7;threadid=10796;start=0#msg96983 date=1132957938]
    It's free or pay for me.
    isn't that partly free and partly paid for ??
    If you can settle with only these features, then it's free, else you have to pay for the extended version..

Not to tread on anyones toes, I've never been a big fan of SuSE, and since Novell took over I havn't even looked in that direction.
    But to claim that they totaly ruined it for SuSE is to take it to some extend, if you look at it, RedHat has been the same way, but noone has ever blamed them for beeing a bad influence, only difference is, that RedHat pulled this move a long time ago, which brought life to FC, where as Novell/SuSE is only now trying out the same scam, where the public is waiting for it.
    When RedHat did it, the community just did what it does to survive, fork another version and go on as if nothing happened.
    Now the media is in on it, and it's a big fucking deal.
    [/quote]
    I think FC is another story. It 's maintained by the community and spónsóréd bij RH.

But I can be wrong